Security Six hammer spring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I think I've finally tracked down at least part of the hitchie double action problem on my old Sec 6. It seems the hammer spring is kinked and I'm going to replace that. In actual experience what might be the lightest spring weight I can use and still expect 100% ignition of standard small pistol primers?
Since it appears the hammer spring is the major component of double action trigger pull and my arthritic hands are getting worse, I need to lighten this one up as much as I can w/o giving up functionality. This is an older, blued gun with standard DA/SA hammer(not bobbed) and I've got it pretty well slicked up just oiling and working the action.
I'll be ordering from Brownells and have had good results with Wolfe.

I believe the original spring is 14 lbs. Drop down to the 12 lb. Also, while you have the spring off, look at the top of the hammer strut (where it mates with the hammer). That was a stamped part and you can find burrs on the side and the top might be a little rough. Make the strut completely smooth and polish the mating surface and that will also help make both the SA and DA pulls a lot smoother.

Thel

Blackhawk
Somewhere on one of the Ruger websites someone mentioned using GP100 mainsprings in a Security Six. I think one individual used a 9 lb and another 12 lb. Never tried it myself so take if for what it is worth.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Check Brownells, I have used the Wolff spring kits with great success. They usually have the spring info on the product page. I had a friend/customer who has a buggered up right hand. He came to me and wanted me to sell his SRHK cause he couldn't hold it and pull it DA. I showed him how to shoot left-handed, installed a Wolff spring kit and he still goes bear (not bare) hunting. BHK

Thel

Blackhawk
Found the reference to using GP100 mainsprings:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-327935.html
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43044
(see gundownunder comment)
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-security-six-88818/index2.html
(see silverblack comments)

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I'm pulling from memory, but I recall that Skeeter Skelton wrote of using a 10/22 mainspring in Security-Six .

silverback

Blackhawk
yep still using the gp100 12 lb hammer spring. I shoot weekly both single and double with no issues. I will let you know if it ever fails.
I got the wolf reduced 14 lb spring and it still seemed some what heavy. Lucky enough I had some gp100 springs laying about. they are a tad bit shorter. I had heard if you wanted to lightened up the 14 lb cut one or two coils....so..... why not try the gp100.

I have found that the gp100 12 lb spring to be just about where I want the hammer spring weight to be. I haven't had any issue what so ever with reliability.

Thel

Blackhawk
Thinking back 25 years or so ago there were Bullseye spring kits for the Six Series. I seem to recall the mainspring being a bit lighter than the Wolff its but could be wrong. They were made by Trapper Gun that Lynn Alexiou ran in Michigan.

silverback

Blackhawk
The gp100 10lb wasn't 100% reliable maybe a 11lb would work but the 12lb is what I had laying around and I am happy with the results. I couldn't fine a source for uh bullseye anywhere.