Security 9 spring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

larry8

Single-Sixer
I have a security 9 and find it hard to rack the slide, so I was wondering if I could replace the spring with one from the security 380, which I also have. The 380 is much easier than the 9 and they look about the same. So I think I could replace the entire spring and rod assembly. Is this possible?

dweis

Blackhawk
If it is the same size, you can substitute. However, that might be problematic. The tension of the two springs is different. 380 generally has a lighter tension than 9mm. I went from a Sec 9 Compact to a Sec 380 because I could no longer reliably rack the 9mm. Now I can rack the 380 with 2 fingers. So there is a substantial difference between the two pistols. If you put a 380 spring into the 9mm, my guess is you will have failure to load and eject. Of course, I am no expert so I am stating what I think not fact. I do have to say that I love the Security 380. It's my EDC loaded with Underwood Extreme Defender.

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to the differences in pressure between the .380 & the .9mm I would not try the swap. Yes,, they might fit. Yes, it might allow easier racking of the slide. BUT,, it will also cause harder impact forces upon the frame when fired. That could damage the gun.
Springs are built to a certain tension for a reason. To allow the gun to properly operate AND function correctly.
I would instead, learn different methods of slide racking,,,or even get one of the inexpensive tools that is a slide racker assist.

I've taught classes to MANY older ladies who found that slide racking is a problem. Yet,, some were able to learn a different method, and became capable of operating their semi-auto's.

larry8

Single-Sixer
Well, I've compared the two springs and rod (pin) assys and found the 9mm is about a half inch longer than the 380, so I can't swap them. I think I'll call Ruger and see if they will make one with a weaker spring for me.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I just thought that if Ruger won't make me a weaker one, then I'll just have to sell the gun and buy one of the new Girsan pistols.

I just thought that if Ruger won't make me a weaker one, then I'll just have to sell the gun and buy one of the new Girsan pistols.
Ruger isn't making crap for any of their guns. M Carbo has a few options. Girsan would be better than trying to run a 9mm with a 380 spring.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I just ordered a 15 lb. spring and SS guide rod for my 9 (from Galloway). The original spring is 17 lb. so this should reduce the racking effort a little bit. I think it is worth a try for $29.
Just checked the mCarbo website (as I had purchased from them before for my Kel Tec PMR30) and they don't have anything for the Ruger Security 9.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I understand the desire to be able to easily rack a slide. I've taught hundreds of ladies over the last few decades to shoot. Racking a slide can be an issue. Springs are built to make a gun reliable, under many different conditions and ammo choices.

Please consider my statement in my other post;

"I would instead, learn different methods of slide racking,,,or even get one of the inexpensive tools that is a slide racker assist."

I notice you are from NE SC. If you happen to travel anywhere near me (I'm not far from the SC Upstate,) I'd be glad to offer some assistance.

larry8

Single-Sixer
OK, I just received the SS guide rod and 15 lb. spring. I put it in and the racking effort is SLIGHTLY less than with the original 17lb spring. It's barely noticeable but it is a LITTLE easier to rack. I'm going to get to the range and see if it makes a difference in feeding and ejecting.