Second outing with SRH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I never thought I'd own a SRH for a couple of reasons, of the .44's I've handled the barrels are too long making them nose heavy for me. I generally do not buy with aesthetics in mind but they are not very svelte compared to my S&W's.

Then last year I got a 4 1/2" SBH in .480 and not wanting only one launching platform I got more reasonable, but still not enough to consider a SRH. So I wrote Ruger to see if they'd install a 4"-5" barrel on an Alaskan, nope dead end there.

With .480's being so hard to come by configured the way I want one , I looked at BFR's but no again, only 7 1/2" barrels without $pecial order. Then I discovered the Toklat. No again! No .480's to be found.

THEN a custom 5" SRH in .480 pops up and I wound up in a bidding war. But overall I gotta say to the losing bidder I'm glad you lost, if you were a shill bidder I had no problem paying for it!

This beauty cost me a bit more than a new 7.5" SRH in .480 but boy... nice balance and the smith that did it was good at making it an unofficial Toklat. It locks up like a tank, barrel was crowned nicely, the DA trigger "stages" 100% of the time, the throats appear to have had attention as does the forcing cone. No leading as I PC my 325's.

After two range trips I have to say I'm happy I got it. Maybe someday Ruger will make an Alaskan in .480 with a longer barrel till then I could care less :)

ruger super redhawk nsn+r.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
A great gun,, but the Alaskan concept was for a shorter barrel to make packing it easier. Adding more barrel,, just makes it an .480 SRH! :D

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I don't think it would be or resemble a SRH at all, it would not have a thick and heavy humongous, top strap with unnecessary scope mounts on a 4"-5" barreled revolver? I think it would appear more like a Redhawk with a weird barrel mounting scheme but a better trigger design of the SRH?

Latest posts