scrapes in blue finish on brand new GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onfinal

Bearcat
I bought a new GP100 blued 4" today and after a few dry fires and lockups find some scrapes in the blue finish on the forward end of the cylinder, and just under the forcing cone on the inside of the frame. It had been on display at the store for a short while, so probably some dry fires, etc. there, too, but never a round in it or through it except at the factory.

I realize this is not a Colt Python in fit and finish, but is it normal for a GP100 finish to show some obvious scrapes at contact points so soon? I really like the gun and this is not a big problem for me. I plan to shoot it and enjoy it. Just wondering what I've got here in the way of quality of finish.

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
There is is an old saying among car guys that if you drive it you will scratch it......and probably if you shoot it you will scratch it. I have a stainless GP100 and it probably had lots of scratches when new but not noticable with that finish....I'm sure blued shows them more...

Like you said "I plan to shoot it and enjoy it".So long function is good,don't worry about the finish.

On the "inside of the frame..." is out of the way, non cosmetic, maybe even part of the building/fitting of the gun .......often "see" this on the "inside of the frame ,within the socalled "window" of the frame...same with the "line " on the cylinder, some have LOTS,some have little or none,BUT in time it appears...nature of the beast.........keep it cleaned and oiled and enjoy it for what you bought it for.

onfinal

Bearcat
Actually, the most obvious scrapes/scratches in the bluing are on the forward end or face of the cylinder. Definitely exterior, but probably also unavoidable. There is a scratched ring in about the same location as a blackened/scorched ring would appear on an ss cylinder. I was just a little surprised it happened so soon. Gun hasn't even been fired yet (except at factory), just dry fired a few times.

I'll say again, it is no Colt Python in fit and finish, which makes me like it even more. Now I can go shoot it and enjoy it, and not have to keep it in a velvet-lined box. I consider it the Glock of .357 revolvers, which is a good thing.

Thanks for the input.

Chris

Blackhawk
rugerguy said:
On the "inside of the frame..." is out of the way, non cosmetic, maybe even part of the building/fitting of the gun .......often "see" this on the "inside of the frame ,within the socalled "window" of the frame...same with the "line " on the cylinder, some have LOTS,some have little or none,BUT in time it appears...nature of the beast.........keep it cleaned and oiled and enjoy it for what you bought it for.

+1

Built like a tank, got to love them.

onfinal

Bearcat
Obviously I have not explained the "scrapes/scratches" or my lack of concern with them very well, but thanks anyway for the replies.

The saying used to be that if the whole class misses the test question, must have been a bad question. Sorry I brought it up.

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
onfinal said:
Obviously I have not explained the "scrapes/scratches" or my lack of concern with them very well, but thanks anyway for the replies.

The saying used to be that if the whole class misses the test question, must have been a bad question. Sorry I brought it up.

Don't be.Anyone that plunks down a large chunk of change for a gun or anything wants it to be perfect and has a right to complain if it isn't......but if the gun is going to be a shooter and not a presentation piece then the reality that it going to get scratched up anyway makes it a non-issue.

Enjoy your GP-100.Its a great gun.