Scope rings and scopes for Ruger No1 338 win mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nor

Bearcat
I just picked up a Ruger No. 1 chambered in 338 win mag.
Looking for some advice on rings and a scope (power, objective, etc.)
I will be using it for elk, moose and bear. Thanks for your time!!

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
I have a 3-10x42 on my .338win mag. Its a Seekins bolt rilfe.

I went with the 3-10x42 because at 3x it gives me a nice wide field of view for closer in work and it gives me the option of some 10x for a longer shot. The .338 is very capable of shooting distances.

My buddy has a .338 as well and he only uses it in the thick timber. His rifle has a 1.5-5x25 on it.

Guess it really depends on what type of shots you expect to take

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
Alaska Arms rings and a Swaro Z5i, most everything else I tried I had a hard time getting the scope back far enough. This set up works perfect for me

noahmercy

Blackhawk
For a gun I hunt with, I favor a bright, clear, modest power scope (5 to 10 power max magnification) with lots of eye relief on a 338. I prefer a smallish objective (under 40mm) so the scope can be mounted low to the bore... quality glass needn't have a big "bell" to gather light well. Keeping the scope light and low reduces the "whip" it experiences under recoil, plus it's nicer to carry afield.
Leupold has some scopes in their VX-3HD and Mark 3HD lines which meet those standards without breaking the bank. They also have an excellent warranty that you will likely never need. If you can score an old made-in-USA Burris Signature with Posi-Lock, they are one of the most recoil-proof, repeatable, and clear scopes for the $$$.

Latest posts