Ruger no1 450/400 NE local find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not for sale. I went to my friends gun shop in Tyler TX that I visit nearly every day. I had been busy all week so couldnt make it for a few days. He sent me a couple pics of this gun he picked up and it didnt really sing to me. But when I visited yesterday and laid hands on it, I needed it real bad. Box of hornady ammo should be here monday.
NIB ruger no1 450/400 ne 3" we dated it to 2011?
Its super cool. Just sharing. Anybody shoot one of these?
1000003334.jpg
1000003333.jpg

So how was the recoil? I just ordered a red Decelerator pad from Brownells to put on it. If nothing else it looks better to me.
The hornady loads are tough. 7 shots was plenty for me. Fortunately it got on target quickly.
I got the mp 413 265 bullet mold today and my hornady dies from grafs. The 7 cases sized very easily. I measured and their lengths were right around the trim length of 2.990." The sized empties drop right in. The lighter load with lead should be fun.

I fired some of Ross Seyfreids light lead bullet loads. He suggested 42gr h4198 with 10gr dacron. I was nervous. Thats a lot of white fluff to stuff in there. But with much research and messaging I found sense in the method. Shot to the same poi as the hornady dgs 409gr load. Unbelievable. Not as accurate. No keyholing. Ran avg 1900fps. Im going to increase the charge in small increments to see if I get the group to tighten up. The dacron fluff blows out all over the place. Hopefully find some 5744 and get the fps I want and not use the dacron.

CAJUNCHEF

Bearcat
Congratulations on a great rifle. Hearkens to a classic African time, with a Farquharson style action, and the classic African rimed Cartridge. I owned the same for several years. I immediately put a Red Decelerator on mine, looked really nice with the figured wood.

With Hornady factory 400 grain and my matching reloads, it kicked me like a mule! I am very familiar shooting big bores, .458 Win Mag Whitworth, .416 Remington in both a Model 70, and another Ruger #1, and others. I think it was that the stock must not have fit me well.

I tried 300 grain Hornady .411 SP (for the .405 Winchester) and it was much more manageable, about like a 375 H&H. I got this idea from an article in Rifle magazine by John Barsness. I used the 75% rule, same powder charge as the 400 grain load ( I used a book load of R-15) and a bullet 75% of the weight, hence 300 grain.
I ended selling the rifle (now I regret it!) as my plan was a 2 rifle African battery, pairing it with my 450/400 Double rifle. Just couldn't handle the 400 grain regulation load of my double in the #1.

Regarding case fillers in the big Nitro, I used 1/2" foam backer rod, cut to about a 1" length, seated over the powder (65 grains R-15), and just very slightly compressed by the seated bullet. I researched fillers extensively, on AH, and in Grame Wrights, Shooting the British Double Rifle.
Both sources showed pressure testing and velocity data, comparing no filler, Dacron, and Foam Backer Rod (very similar to Kynoch wads.). Foam backer was the lowest pressure, least pressure variation, more consistent velocity, and in some rifles, potentially slightly more accurate. A larger data set is needed to prove accuracy benefits.

Given the minimal variation in pressure, and velocity, foam backer is a no brainer. And the fact that Kynoch has used them in some Nitro cases, and Butch Searcy used them, foam backer is the way to go.