Scope mounting Ruger 1.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JSB30

Bearcat
I doubt they make one. If You take the rib off there will be a lot of holes in top of barrel. They do make rings to fit the rib I believe.

Midas11

Sergent
Leupold 3X FX II fixed-power with a heavy duplex. Excellent eye relief and glass. Simple and rugged; all you need and nothing more.

Danny

Single-Sixer
On such a nice looking rifle, things start getting ugly if you start using non Ruger rings and bases, and got forbid, "adapters" (a secondary device made to make something do something it is not supposed to do).

Ruger makes offset (they call them "extension rings, I think) rings. Between the standard rings and those, you should be able to get a scope mounted.

Danny

TheDoubleD

Bearcat
I am looking to mount a Variable power scope. Currently have Swarovski 3zi 3.5 to 10 mounted on the gun in front and rear Ruger extension Rings. I have marginal eye relief at 3.5 power. But definite issues at magnifications above 3.5. I have room on the scope to move it back at least a 1/4 inch and possibly resolve the eye relief issues. Unfortunately the 42 mm objective bell contacts the 1/4 rib preventing any further rearward movement.

I may have resolved the problem. Last night looking around in my scope drawer I found an old unused Leupold M8 4x scope. This may hopefully solve my problems. It has a 4.4 inch eye relief and 1.6 inch objective bell (40mm). I will get it mounted up today and see if it helps.

4x would perfect. But fixed power scopes a scarce these days.

Don G

Bearcat
i was gonna suggest just trying a different scope, but I don't like to suggest an answer to a question that was not asked. So, since you are open to another scope, most of the older 4x scopes have enough tube length and eye relief. Some new variables do as well.

TheDoubleD

Bearcat
Can you suggest a specific variable scope you have used that will work?

My old M8 4X 33 when mounted in extension rings rings and moved as far to the rear as possible, does work. Problem is solved.

DD

Scopes that fit the Ruger Number 1 are rather limited, especially if using non-offset and/or standard height rings. Some of Leupold's VX-3 series scopes will fit the No. 1 using the standard rings. That's a 3.5x-10x VX-3 on a 1B pictured below. The rear ring is almost against the turrets, but eye relief is still acceptable.

Basically, you want a scope with over 3.5" of eye relief and fairly long dimensions. I would also recommend scopes without large diameters at the ocular end to provide more room for cartridge loading and unloading.
IMG_1956ms.jpg

jmangarland

Bearcat
I just put on a Meopta optika6 2.5x15x44 RD SFP on my #1 using ruger med rings. Works perfect, scope has just about 4 inches of eye relief. Have plenty of room to move it forward and back still, could probably mount a 50 mm easily.

Last edited:

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I just put Z5 Swaro on my 300 H&H no.1 and there is plenty of tube to get proper eye relief