Scope for mini 14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Meetzos

Bearcat
This question might have come up before, but I didn't see a thread in the last couple of pages.
I need a few recommendations for what power scope to put on my mini 14. My eyes have gotten to the point that the iron sights are not working out so good like they use too. I have never used a scope before, always iron sights so I have no idea what is a good scope for the 50 to 100 yard range. Age is a terrible thing hard on the eyes other systems not so hard any more. :)

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I recommend a fixed 4x or 6x. I use a Weaver 6x so I can see the holes at 100 yds. They have decent glass, tough, and not a lot of money. About 130 bucks I think. The matte finish matches the NRA mini exactly. Looks like it came from the factory with it on.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I have a Bushnell dawn to dusk trophy. 1.5x3
power. That's all you need for a mini, it's not exactly a long range
shooter but you can effectively use it out to 200 yards.

Meetzos

Bearcat
Thanks to all that replied. I'll take these recommindations and see what looks like the best for me. Thanks again.

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
Just my preference, but I have a Nikon 3-9x40 on mine. It's my "farm" gun. Stays behind the seat of my truck. The lower magnification is great for "moving" targets, and the higher power is nice for longer shots. Comes in real handy sometimes. :wink:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
My suggestion is the Burris Timberline line - very small scopes that fit and look right on the Mini. Excellent quality for under $200.00 - I think the 4x is about $115.00. They have a 4.5 to 14 that's smaller than most 3 to 9X.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
I have a Tru-Glo 30mm red-dot mounted on an Amega Ranges scout rail. Its a nice setup. The Amega Ranges rail is pricy (~150$) but it is SOLID, plus it looks Tac-ti-cool (kick me).

The TruGlo red dot is pretty nice for 60$ (and you can find them cheaper than that). Its got a 5moa dot that is pretty close to a true 5moa. I was able to shoot a 10 shot group @100yds that was 2.5in until I had a flyer that pushed it out to about 3.5in. I figure that is pretty good for a guy with glasses (that are in need of replacement) using a dot-sight that covers about 5in at 100yds.

If you have an older Mini (like mine) that doesn't have the integral Ruger Scope mounts, the Amega rail (or the one made by Ultimak) is pretty much your best bet for mounting a scope. This does mean that you will need either a no-magnification red-dot or a Long/Intermediate Eye Relief scope like a pistol scope or a scout scope. Those Side-saddle mounts that B-Square and Weaver make are finicky to adjust and require too much fussing for my taste.

If you have a newer gun with the built-in scope mounting points your options are better since you can run a regular rifle scope. In that case I would get a low power scope, 1.5-4x or maybe a 2.5x fixed. I can't really see putting a 3-9x on a Mini, the scope is almost as long as the gun...but then again if that was what I had on hand...Then that is probably what i would use.

I had a leupold vxI 3-9x40 on mine that I was happy w/. I still have the scope on rings to put back on the mini, but now have an aimpoint that I picked up when midway had them for $225 which I like better for shooting up to 100yrds.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
Yea this age thing sucks. I need bifocals but haven't bought them yet.

My mini's have Weaver V Series Classic 1x3 by 20 on them. Quick at 1 power and a little magnification at 3 power. Nice and light as well.

Meetzos

Bearcat
Bigfoot62":30dheo8c said:
Just my preference, but I have a Nikon 3-9x40 on mine. It's my "farm" gun. Stays behind the seat of my truck. The lower magnification is great for "moving" targets, and the higher power is nice for longer shots. Comes in real handy sometimes. :wink:

Not to bring up old stuff, but I got a scope like yours today. I mounted it and will head out to the range next week. I got to say it's a nice one just lookin through it. Thanks again to all that had a thought or idea.

Oddly enough what I'm finding is that low power, less than 4x are better. I think this would be your best bet with the mini-14 in that as you stated you are going to be shooting inside of 100 yards. I've got a Millett tactical scope that is 1-4x and it shoots best at 1-3x settings. the dot in the center is 1 moa, so it is very small... small enough that at 50 yards you can set the point of aim to just above the dot just like iron sights.

The key I'm learning with a scope is that you have to rest your cheek and have your eye at the exact same place as you shoot... I put a cheek pad on my 10/22 with the above scope and it made a world of difference.

DavidABQ

Bearcat
I would think that a 3-9x40would do the trick.

I currently have Leupolds and Burris on my rifles but the new Redfield from what I have read sounds like a real winner. They are not too expensive and they are produced in the Leupold factory with the same warranty as Leupold.

Latest posts