SBH: Look up and ask to be dismissed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Charlie U.

Bearcat
Gibson said:
.................The fireball was absolutely incredible! Even from my perspective as shooter, I can only imagine what a spectator would say.

Sounds like a ton-o-fun.

As the saying goes "A picture is better than a thousand words".........how 'bout showing us some pics or a short vid of the muzzle blast?

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
As the saying goes "A picture is better than a thousand words"

As with most things, there are exceptions......I enjoy Gibson's manner of expressing himself so much, pictures seem "old hat" in comparison.

tek4260

Buckeye
I'd like to see a pic of the primers. There are many different levels of flattened :)

Here are my first 5 shots yesterday with that same Lee boolit over 21gr of H110.

DSCN1145.jpg

Had to try out my inside out shooting glove and really liked it.

Tellico

Buckeye
Gibson, I came up with 1280 ft lbs for the top velocity round in the string and that should work for anything below a T-Rex. I have quit most other Forums also except this one and the S&W one. The others seem to be manned by a lot of keyboard ninjas that can't wait to berate others posts. I have never shot a Bisley grip, but I think I will have to try one based on what I have learned here. I would like to see a photo of the near dark fireball also. I'll bet it rivals the .30 Carbine BH. :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have found it useful to shoot known safe but Max. loads next to a load that you are working up. It will give you some extra perspective with what you are doing. :D :D

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
I would go more by sticky case extraction than by primer appearance to determine when to stop. I've had guns that produced flattened looking primers with mid level book loads. But I've never had any that produced sticky case extraction with safe loads from reloading manuals. Well, one did, but the chambers on that gun are rough. So, if your brass doesn't stick with normal, safe loadings (handloads or factory), I'd look for sticky case extraction first and not place as much stock in primer appearance.

But then, you probably already know this

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
You know, now that you mention it and I remember, I DID have some factory ammo that was darn near impossible to extract. It was Winchester Super X 454 Casull, 260 grain, fired in my Super Redhawk. 'Bout had to pound those cases out with a hammer. Split three or four cases as well. Was glad when all that was used up and I could start reloading the cases.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A short 4-5/8" barrel, lots of slow powder, big heavy bullet, what's not to like? Velocity is going to be your best indicator of pressure. You can't get more velocity without more pressure. Besides your Blackhawk can take a lot of over-pressure many times before it fails. Gulp. :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Gibson said:
Velocity is an important indicator of pressure for jackleg reloaders like me:

H110: 22 grains AV 1346
WC820: 21.3 grains AV 1355
That is exactly what I mean. Perfect comparison. By the numbers and on the money. :D :D