Cylinder bound up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I agree with the possibility of slight weight differences. We have seen that ourselves with lighter bullets and some powders. If those are found, or simply just imagined, it's not hard to simply break down the components and do a complete check of the powder charge and any other items.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
There is a fallacy to that idea. Brass and bullets can and do vary in weight, although usually small. If you are loading something like a .38 wadcutter with a minimal powder charge, you may not catch the error.
Agreed, a co-worker gave me several hundred 9mm bullets that I pulled because of the first few I pulled one had a double charge.

I weighed them all and sorted them into three groups, average, light and heavier and started pulling them all. All three groups had double charges.

mrs50sls56

Bearcat
As luck would have it, this very scenario happened to me this past Fall; and, they were my hand loads...... I was not as lucky because the projectile just barely cleared the front of the cylinder and I already had cocked the hammer for a second shot. Delayed brain reaction....then I stopped, and lowered the hammer cautiously; was able to remove they cylinder of course, and banged the projectile in reverse till it dropped free. I was amazed that after well over 50 years of hand loading and shooting, ALL these mistakes could happen to me at one time. Old age requires extreme vigilance in all endeavors....

J.
Same thing happened to me; .44 Mag. Would have been catastrophic. Ever since(40+) I have kept a flashlight on the reloading bench and EVERY batch of powdered brass gets looked at for reasonableness before the bullets get added.

I have had two squib loads in my life both in .38 wadcutters. One was a factory and the other a purchased reload from a reputable
reloading business, also some anemic .22 that required checking if they cleared the barrel.
Now I can sort of see in a rapid fire setting....maybe...firing a second round....maybe.
That said, how ******* STUPID do you need to be to fire several rounds and then with less intelligence then the dumbest of
farm animals reload and fire a few more!

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
So when I first started shooting handguns in 1981. An older guy who was probubly the age I am now, so he was still young.
He noticed I didn't know much about shooting handguns and helped me with my hold and stance gave me all kinds of good advice. And he gave me a ~3/8" Dia oak dowel and about 15" long. It just fits down a .357 barrel and said "put it in your shooting bag someday you will need it" I kept it and transferred it every time I updated my bag.
Then in (2017 ) 36 years after he gave that to me I used if for the first time. Shooting factory .45 ACP either Winchester or Remington white box ball out of my New never been fired Redhawk .45LC/.45Auto. The very first round I attempted was a squib, I got that sick feeling then remembered I had that dowel. It was the first time I ever needed to us it. Primer fired but the powder did not. Dowel saved the day. Out of thousands and thousands of rounds fired that was and so far (knock-knock-knock) has been the only centerfire squib I have ever had. Rimfire I couldn't tell you how many I have had but lots of them.

Last edited:
I read the 1st post that the gun did not fire. Well, it did indeed fire. It was a squib load. Glad to hear no injury or damage was done. They do happen. The most important thing is to understand there was a problem and don't attempt to fire again. Good on the OP to take gun to a pro to check it out. Thousands upon thousands over decades of handloading ammo for rifles, handguns and shotguns, I never had one. I have been at the range when a friend had one in a 3006 and my son last year in a .45 ar. I tapped the bullet out of the .45 can't remember how the 3006 was handled. I didn't work on it.

Latest posts