SBH Front Sight Replacement

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Need some help. Got a blued SBH 44 mag. Eyes ain't what the used to be. Want to upgrade the sights. The rear has options. The front not so much. Any ideas on how to set the front sight up to take a pinned or dovetail blade. Want to go with either a red ramp or fiber optic. Perhaps both I can change a pinned or dovetail sight. Just need to get to that point.

contender

Ruger Guru
There is a thread in the Lounge,, about why Ruger doesn't offer a pinned in front blade. In it,, there is a bit of info on different methods of "changing" the front sight. Many opt for the milling of the blade, cutting a recess, and adding a replaceable blade.

Mike for old tired eyes, any paint of nail polish, we use Testors from the model/hobby stores, favorite happens to be 'Day Glo" orange...use what works for YOUR eyes, nothing is perfect, all around, cause day light,, dusk, indoors ,outdoors, high noon, it all changes.......and the paint or nail polish can be easily removed, put back to black and no messing up the originality of the gun or deminishing its values,,,cause the NEXT guy may NOT like "white wall tires"... 8) :roll: :wink:

wish I had a nickel for every front sight we changed for customers over the past 50 plus years... :shock:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
My fix is to grind off the blue blade just short of flush to the base to retain all the bluing on top of the ramp. Then stack three Carborundum cut off wheels in the Dremel tool and clamp it in the vise. So it's like a mini bench grinder.

Then hold the gun's ramp under the 'wheel' and pull up to sink the wheel into it to cut the slot. I practiced a few times on scrap metal the first time. You can cut the slot a little too narrow and file the 1/2 moon on the bottom of the sight blade to narrow it to fit the slot which leaves a slight shoulder on each side to cover up a sloppy edge of the slot. When I got better I cut the slot full width. Then drilled and pinned in the new blade.

A gunsmith can will the slot of course, setting up the mill and positioning/clamping the work is what's time consuming and therefore costly. It's a lot of time for them for then for one little slot.

Then you can use the fiber optic front sight blade replacements from Ruger shown here: https://shopruger.com/Revolvers/products/5150/