Front sight idea

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I know everything has been thought of and probably done. So here's my idea.
Take a super blackhawk hunter sight and remove the red piece and make a place in a NM blackhawk for this piece to go.I wish the nmbh
Sight was dove tailed in.
My eyes can't hardly find the top if the rear sight which makes me string my shots vertically. Horizontal I do quite well.

If you are talking about the red insert in the front sight, you can buy kits to DIY inserts. Brownells sells them (Front Sight Insert Kit - contains 5 dyes, liquid acrylic, powdered activator, mixing cups) so others probably do also. Gives you everything you need to do it along with the instructions. If you have a dremel tool and some small files - easy peasy.

Arthur Roy

Bearcat
I have done this very thing on a couple blued Blackhawks. On stainless guns I just make a new sight and pin it in.

contender

Ruger Guru
When I need a sharper front sight picture,, and preferring to NOT alter my gun with a non-reversible modification, I do the following.

Clean & degrease the front sight. Let dry. Add a coat of white paint, gently with a toothpick or a very thin brush. Let dry. Then cover white paint with either a bright red or bright green paint. It really pops. The white base coat helps a bunch.

And recently,, to assist in a better sight picture,, I have found the Ronnie Wells/ Fermin Garza rear blade inserts to be excellent. Easy to install, and offered in several variations.

If you are talking about the red insert in the front sight, you can buy kits to DIY inserts. Brownells sells them (Front Sight Insert Kit - contains 5 dyes, liquid acrylic, powdered activator, mixing cups) so others probably do also. Gives you everything you need to do it along with the instructions. If you have a dremel tool and some small files - easy peasy.

I believe that full kit is no longer available.

It looks like Brownell's still has many of the components, though.

I believe Larry Potterfield has a "how to" video on the MidwayUSA site. Seems like I just posted it here, recently. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
When I need a sharper front sight picture,, and preferring to NOT alter my gun with a non-reversible modification, I do the following.

Clean & degrease the front sight. Let dry. Add a coat of white paint, gently with a toothpick or a very thin brush. Let dry. Then cover white paint with either a bright red or bright green paint. It really pops. The white base coat helps a bunch.
EXCELLENT advice! I've done this many times! ;)

One tip to add: When your paint is dry, rub it with a common pencil eraser. This kills any shine/glare and REALLY makes it pop. ;)

I loved Testor Model Master Chevy Engine Red (a brilliant red-orange) for this, but it's been discontinued for years. Next time I need to touch my guns up, I'll have to make my own blend of Testor Red and Testor Orange.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cheap, flea market fingernail polish works well, too and comes in whatever colors you can imagine.
SOME types might work well. I've found that fingernail polish tends to be less than opaque. If you find a good brand that works, it'll work fine and since you specified CHEAP, it almost has to be cheaper than Testor model paint. ;)

Latest posts