Rusted SR1911-Ruger will not....edited...did replace my 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
mapwd1702 said:
Exactly why it boggles my mind when I hear forum members say that I am being to picky and should not worry about it, it should NOT happen, unless it's a matter of neglect, but not on new guns!!!!!!!

I think the initial thoughts as you mentioned above, were people (including myself) thinking that it was just minor discoloration or surface rust as compared to actual pitting. You're right ... If it can't be polished away ... It's an issue.

Glad you got it resolved. If this ends up being widespread ... Ruger will have a real problem on their hands ... As up to this point, the only real issue has been front sight breakages that I can recall. As time goes on ... I think it's becoming more clear that the materials and/or processes being used in producing these guns may be somewhat lacking, or need to be modified. Ironically ... The early guns seem to be the most problem free examples.

As a previous poster mentioned ... I have over a dozen 1911's ... Mostly Colts ... And have never had one rust or breakage issue with ANY of them, and I own examples of all the series that are available WWI, series 70, 80, and 90. Collectively, these guns easily have well over 100,000 rounds through them. Never had a rust issue on a gun ... Ever .... Including all my stainless Ruger revolvers and MK's.

REV

DSDMMAT

Bearcat
I just looked at mine, it has the black spots too. I will give customer service a call on Monday. Hopefully it can be fixed without replacing the frame, NY is a pain in the rear when it comes to short guns and serial numbers.

kebwizrd

Bearcat
I was finally able to find a SR1911 full size and picked it up 9/13/13. Asked the clerk to remove the grips so I could check it out. No problem found. Got home and started to clean the pistol. Removed the grips to do a good cleaning and noticed that there were brass flecks on the back of the grips. I'm assuming they are from when the medallion was attached. Just wondering if they may have been causing a reaction of some kind between the brass and steel (like copper and aluminum) that may have been causing the previous problem. Just a thought.

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
No I don't think it's the Ruger medallion in the grip causing the problem. On my gun the spots are very widespread and probably at least 50 of them. As of Friday Ruger had my gun assigned to one of their
repairmen. I'm hoping to hear back from them this week.

6gun

Hunter
RugerFan1911 said:
No I don't think it's the Ruger medallion in the grip causing the problem. On my gun the spots are very widespread and probably at least 50 of them. As of Friday Ruger had my gun assigned to one of their

Can you post pics so all can see whats happening?

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
6gun said:
RugerFan1911 said:

How do you post pictures on this forum?

6gun

Hunter
RugerFan1911 said:
6gun said:
RugerFan1911 said:

I don't know how, from what I understand it done from using photobucket.

Mike J

Hunter
RugerFan1911 said:
6gun said:
RugerFan1911 said:

Instructions on how to post pictures are here http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51390

mohavesam

Hawkeye
This thread is over... Ruger made it right.
There are pics already in the thread. Ya gotta LOOK for them. read page one. :roll: :roll: :roll:

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
Ruger has had my gun for 10 days now. I emailed yesterday asking the status and was told:

"we are just waiting to have it refinished I do apologize for the delay but I want to make sure it is done right for you. We are working as fast as we can to resolve this issue."

I've never had to send a gun back for any reason so I really have no idea how long something like this
should take. Hopefully not too much longer. I guess the most important thing is that they get it corrected.

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
Two weeks and counting now....

Those of you that have sent your guns back to Ruger...how long did you have to wait?

mapwd1702

Bearcat
I had to send mine in 2 times, each time it took only about a week. I have heard from others though that they are now out of current stock of 1911s. They may have started making something else, and now have to do special run of 1911s to replace these bad guns. When I received my new gun, it was only 3-4 days old, so it was manufactured, boxed and shipped with no shelf time. Call Ruger and ask, they will let ya know what is going on. As big of a pain in the butt it was, they were very nice.

accessbob

Bearcat
Mine (SR1911 CMD) is having rust issues as well. I probably should call them. I was going to just get it pre-processed and Cerakoted to stop any rust but now I am thinking I need to send it in as well. My wife's full size is also having some as well.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
accessbob said:
Mine (SR1911 CMD) is having rust issues as well. I probably should call them. I was going to just get it pre-processed and Cerakoted to stop any rust but now I am thinking I need to send it in as well. My wife's full size is also having some as well.

What serial numbers are your 2 guns with rust problems? Just the 1st 3 numbers will identify whether they are new or older guns.

mapwd1702

Bearcat
one of my guns was made in October of 2012, and the Commander was made in January of 2013.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
mapwd1702 said:
I may be wrong, bet every single SR1911 I have ever seen starts out with 670-

They all start with 670-, followed by 5 numbers, both full-sized and CMD's.

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
Called Ruger today as they have had my 1911 for 14 days. They told me they have now decided to replace the gun instead of refinishing it. Couldn't tell me exactly when the new one will arrive, but
hopefully I'll have it in a few days.

I'm still pleased and impressed with Ruger customer sevice.