ruger super blackhawk 3 screw question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

olskool

Bearcat
I was in a pawn shop today and they had a 3 screw super Blackhawk. it had new looking laminate looking grips. the gun looked 100% I didn't look at it close, them man said the sel. no. is 80-59419 did ruger make newer ones of late? I can't find that serial number. the price 400.00 any help please.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
According to the Ruger serial number list, that number belongs to an Old Model made in 1973, the last year of OM's. Perhaps it was one of the first NM's to roll of the assembly line, and there was a bit of an overlap in the numbering.

I can't help with the grips, I'm sure someone will be along soon who can. The price sounds reasonable to me.

Armybrat

Buckeye
According to the Ruger Customer Service website - that serial # should from late in the last year of production (1973) before the New Models came out (1974).
If it is as nice a condition as you say, has not had the transfer bar conversion, and locks up tight, I'd jump on it before the close of the business day.

Wouldn't hurt to see if you could get it "out the door" for the $400 price.

Edited to add: BP beat me to it, as I'm old and type reeal slow. :lol:

olskool

Bearcat
it is super nice, the only thing that threw me was the new looking laminate grips, I thought ruger may have made a batch of 3 screws lately. I am not familiar with late guns I only deal in the older ones. I will be at that shop tomorrow and look it over close.

sounds like an 'old model' Super that someone put newer, possibly, laminated grips on it,,,seen MANY over the years with about every grip imaginable....very ,very GOOD price for an 'old model' Super, go for it, as said above, try for "out the door" 8) :roll: :wink:

olskool

Bearcat
I have a model 1905 smith & wesson in nickel that I do not ever shoot, it is in nice condition. I am debating about trading. the value of it would be about equal with the 3 screw super BH . I am going this morning to take a hard look at it. thanks for the encouragement, if it is still there I will leave with it one way or the other,,,,,,,,,,,,,

olskool

Bearcat
I got it. we could not make the trade happen so I asked what they would take? 375.00 its mine. I had a 100,00 on me and put it on layaway until next week when I can get over to pick it up, they are about 30 miles away. I looked it over good, the gun is not 100% like I said but it is 95 % the only thing I see is the bottom screw on the grip frame is not perfect from a previous tightening with the wrong screwdriver, other than that the gun is super nice. I will post photos when I bring it home,,,,,,,

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Thats a great find and good price. Ruger will send screws for free. But, since its a Old Model, I bet they wont if it has not been updated with transfer bar. Ruger refused to sell me Super BH grips for my Old Model, because it was in original condition. The screws are same for New Models. I needed a set of grip frame screws for an Old Army. Had to argue to get a set for NM.

Latest posts