Ruger SR9C and best ammo for personal protection

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I'd look at it with a little more detail in mind, specificvally with regard to environment:

1. Indoors or outdoors
2. Summer with light clothing or winter with a lot more heavier clothing?
3. Need to shoot through light cover (windows, car doors, walls)?
4. Engagement range?
5. Are you concerned about penetrating your target completely?
6. Are your targets human only, or animals, too?

Personal protection is a wide subject.

Idaho Spud

Bearcat
novelist said:
Which ammo is best for the SR9C for PP. :eek:

In my SR9c that would be Federal HST 147 JHP (P9HST2). Functions impeccably, is accurate, seems to expand in tests I've seen and has the bullet weight I want to penetrate. I like heavy bullets. You could do a lot worse. And I got 50 round boxes of it for the same price that others charged for 20 to 25 rounds.

Edit: oh, and I handload 147 gr. cast projectiles at the about same velocity (@945 fps) for practice.

Iron Mike Golf said:
I'd look at it with a little more detail in mind, specificvally with regard to environment:

1. Indoors or outdoors
2. Summer with light clothing or winter with a lot more heavier clothing?
3. Need to shoot through light cover (windows, car doors, walls)?
4. Engagement range?
5. Are you concerned about penetrating your target completely?
6. Are your targets human only, or animals, too?

Personal protection is a wide subject.

4. She would HOPE to be engaged.
5. She, again would really HOPE completely.
6. She would hope I wouldnt try penetrating animals.

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
Beyond any shadow of a doubt, my opinion falls squarely with...

CORBON PowRBall 9mm +P (100 grain @ 1,400fps+) !

This fantastic round, unlike most other popular SD Ammo, like the tried n' true Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P 124 grain (for example), will not over-penetrate and therefore it "DUMPS" all of its energy inside the BG...and it makes one hell-of-a-huge "wound channel" that is ragged jagged, voluminous and complex since the jacket separates and goes helter skelter thru soft tissue like a meat grinder...plus it feeds with 100% Reliability.

Unless you intend on shooting through car doors (which will probably land you in prison if the BG is fleeing and you shoot at his fleeing vehicle), I say, "You don't need no stinkin' heavy grain rounds" (said like a Mexican Cartel Kingpin).

Haz ps. a Deputy Sheriff I know who has witness the aftermath of a few BG's being shot with PowRBall ammo said, "When we rolled the BG over onto his belly, he looked like he had a few big warts on his back from the PowRBall ammo that stopped its path, just short of exiting the BG's body".

A

Anonymous

A question like this will get a thousand different replies.

I'll speak in general terms, from my own experience.

I like the 124 grain weight.

I like hollow points.

I like +P.

Use what works and feeds well and what you're comfortable shooting.
You can shoot the most expensive stuff but if you don't hit jack, it doesn't matter.

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
novelist

My recommendation on Corbon PowRBall 9mm +P is geared to save you money buy ending your needless search amongst (as hyson rightfully noted) the thousands of other ammo preferences and recommendations relative to what is the best, most "effective" SD ammo (generally speaking).

ALL... let me say that again....ALL.... the Tactical and SpecOps guys I know, including a few active duty Military Snipers, "ALL" pack Corbon PoWRball ammo in their handguns. Nuff said !

Powrball1.jpg

Powrball3.jpg

Haz :::The OPINION expressed herein is solely that of the author and is in no way intended to impose the "Opinion" upon other forum members::: :D

A

Anonymous

revhigh said:
hyson said:
A question like this will get a thousand different replies.

Yeah ... here we go again ..... :roll:

REV

For a newbie, it's a valid question.

Opinions are like buttholes, though.... everyone has one and they all stink.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Hazama Yakiba said:
Rev... I kinda like my opinion above all others !!! :wink:

Haz

Only problem is, since your opinion changes weekly that may confuse people.

I go with Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P short barrel. Made specifically for the 3-4" barrel guns with excellent ballistic reports. Feeds 100% in mine.

As far as "best". Nobody can answer that with 100% certainty...how about "good". :wink:

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
+1 to Verndog on Speer Gold Dot for snubbies.

Got my LCR stoked with them in 38 Special +P, and I know they are nasty meanies !

Haz

A

Anonymous

Here is a great article on Chuck Hawk's site which goes into great detail about defensive ammo.
I personally like to use Federal HST 124+P

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

2wheeler

Bearcat
WOW.....147 grain ammo. I didnt think we could use +P ammo in the 9c.

Atleast alot. I might have to pick some Power ball ammo for when I EDC.

Just plane 115gr FMJ is whats in it now.

DId get some HP for SD atleast but have not put them in. I should as expansion is desireable?!

A

Anonymous

+P for function testing is fine.

I wouldn't go to the range and shoot 100 rounds of +P

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Ruger quite confident in the ability of the SR9c to digest any kind of factory ammo out there. Nonetheless I don't think the average shooter is really going to gain anything from +P+. A quality round with good shot placement is what gets the job done.

Latest posts