Ruger SR556E Picatinny 9" Rails?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Placentasaur

Bearcat
If it's Nordic, you can buy this and chop it down however you like... some Birchwood Casey Aluma-Black on the ends, cured with a hair dryer and you're golden. I've done exactly that for my SR-22 rifles with Nordic hand-guards.

JnkHIm3.jpg
Do you happen to know the length and spacing on the holes on that Nordic rail? If it's 9" or 10" and holes spaced at 1.97" I'd order them right now, problem solved.

9x19

Hunter
Hole spacing on the Nordic NC1 / NC2 handguards, and the Ruger SR-22 HGs is 1.75" center-to-center. The rail I linked is 12.5" long. I used one to make two bottom rails for my guns.

Good luck.

Placentasaur

Bearcat
Thank you dude. You saved me a lot of headache with that information. Apparently Ruger began production of the SR's using Troy Industries for a lot of their parts and mine is from 2013 which is before they switched over to Nordic. I just measured mine again and they are for sure 1.97 spacing. So the SR-22 / SR-762 references to cross compatibility is only true to models at the least newer than 2013... I can't find the exact year that they swapped.

NikA

Buckeye
@Placentasaur the second Amazon link I posted apparently has a 2" center-to-center spacing. Might be worth a try if you can stomach a short rail section, certainly doesn't appear to be as cheap/no-name as the first. Personally, I don't see much use to full length rails and just mount the length I need.

Again, I appreciate you guys. I just got off the phone with Ruger. I was told I'm out of luck as far as getting the rails or handguards through them. The lady was nice as could be and lowered her voice to tell me "we aren't supposed to encourage aftermarket products but that, or finding a gunsmith is your best bet" lmao.

Those Amazon items were going to be my last ditch effort. I have looked at those, read every review, saw the terrible reviews with pictures and that people were complaining about even putting them on airsoft rifles and decided to not roll those dice. I very well may still try them for 11 bucks though. The Nordic link refers to "top rail" which deterred me from that as the holes for the top rail on the SR's are not the same as the sides, or bottom. Looks like my options are try the Amazon air rifle 2 star reviewed rails or roll the dice on the Nordic customs and drill some new holes if they aren't correct. I'm a licensed plumber/inspector. I could probably kinda sorta make that work. The curvature of the bottom is the only thing that would throw me off if it weren't correct. I did find nice looking "universal" rails on Amazon that looked like they'd be just fine if the bottoms weren't flat.
I find this an unfortunate trend with Ruger. Almost like planned obsolescence. They took a universal platform and proprietized it and then discontinued without ongoing product support. While others are using semi universal parts like STANAG mags or Glock mags, M lock or keymod that are reliable and available they make unsupportable products. When I felt I had issues with my Max9 light striking Ruger didn't have any solutions and there wasn't any interchangeable striker/spring options. Eventually I used a mill cutter to deepen the striker channel and spec'd a spring from Wolff. I suppose proprietary eventually discontinued support can be a good business model anyway.

Placentasaur

Bearcat
For sure. I'm not very knowledgeable with machine work but it seems like it's definitely a good time to learn. If you can't work on a gun that will inevitably break, you will have to buy a new one, right? Let alone find picatinny rails that fit it... I can remember when my grandfather recieved this rifle back in 2013 and was so stoked to show it to me. That's like the only thing keeping me from trading this thing in for something more... servicable and modern. My SR is still like new - maybe 200 rounds max have been through it. The handguard is proprietary and held on by rivets, specifically stated in the handbook to never remove it yourself as only ruger has the tools to reinstall it. The stock and buffer tube are also somewhat proprietary it seems now that I'm digging deeper into it. When I called Ruger another thing the rep said was that if I sent my rifle in their job is to send it back to me as it would have been from factory and any aftermarket parts would be avoided completely. That was her response to me asking if there were anyway for me to send them my completely stock Ruger SR-556E in hopes that I could purchase a new handguard and have them swap it out for me. Basically, my rifle is what it is and good luck lmao

hittman

Staff member
Too bad you don't have a couple of small "mom and pop" locally owned gun stores near you.
I know the 2 or 3 here would bust their butts to try and find a solution they could order ( and maybe even install ) for me!
They'd drag out the catalogs or do internet searches for me and all that.
The joys of being in a rural area!

Placentasaur

Bearcat
Too bad you don't have a couple of small "mom and pop" locally owned gun stores near you.
I know the 2 or 3 here would bust their butts to try and find a solution they could order ( and maybe even install ) for me!
They'd drag out the catalogs or do internet searches for me and all that.
The joys of being in a rural area!
Anything is possible here in Houston, Tx. I haven't gave up yet ;)

"Seriously!!! It's a freaking AR for crying out loud!!!"
Not according to some of the previous posts.
^^Based on the previous posts, the Ruger uses a proprietary handguard and mounting format.

Last edited:

Latest posts