Ruger PC9 Jamming

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VegasRuger

Bearcat
Hello all, I just purchased this PC9 brand new. Took it to the range today and about every 5th or 6th round I'd get a malfunction. It seems like the rifle is trying to eject and load a new round at the same time, but the brass of the spent round gets stuck. This was with three different ruger mags, and two types of ammo.
Gold Dots 124gr+p and Blazer Brass 124gr ball. Any help is appreciated. I tried tightening the barrel ring and no luck.

9x19

Hunter
Is the extractor hook in good shape?

If so, the ejector is the next thing to look at... your pic looks like one of those is at fault.

The extractor has to hold the brass tight to the breech face until the case hits the ejector on the opposite side and that forces it to flip out of the ejection port.

Ruger has good response time and will cover shipping, if you decide to contact them for support.

Last edited:

instructor

Single-Sixer
I bought a PCC 9 carbine some time ago and on first visit to range using IMI 9mm ammunition I had a few failures to feed and failure to extract as well. I use Glock magazines and wonder about that but after a dozen or so rounds the problems went away. Not sure why but normally I take a new firearm and inspect it and apply a light coat of CLP to the "innards" and that was not done on this PCC 9 carbine. Now have some 500 rounds through it and runs like Rolex watch.

My best guess is the bolt isn't reaching full travel. This sort of malfunction may be directly related to the 'new' part of your description or a lack of lubrication.
Counter to what you may have been told, it's OK to lube a new gun.

VegasRuger

Bearcat
My best guess is the bolt isn't reaching full travel. This sort of malfunction may be directly related to the 'new' part of your description or a lack of lubrication.
Counter to what you may have been told, it's OK to lube a new gun.
I lubed the crap out of it, still happening.

Next step in the process is to dis-assemble, look for manufacturing debris, clean/relube, and re-assemble. There's a chance you'll notice any burrs left from machining or any 'rub marks' from parts interference.
My suggestion that the problem is caused by incomplete bolt travel stands. Some combinations of mass production are less compatible than others and may take a while to get right with the world.

s4s4u

Hunter
If it has a fixed ejector, as with most blowback actions, it is likely not adjusted correctly. The ejector should ride right up against the bolt or it will fail to kick the empties out. Easy enough to DIY, but being a new gun Ruger should take care of it.

Latest posts