Ruger SR 556's gone

Help Support Ruger Forum:

427mach1

Blackhawk
I believe the AR market is flooded with surplus guns right now. Everyone geared up during the last panic and gun sales have since dropped off significantly. It was only a matter of time before manufacturers began scaling back IMHO. If Ruger has indeed dropped a few models, I'm sure they studied sales records and discontinued the slower selling models.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
What 427 said. Besides, now there'll only be 1,264 branded AR's on the market now. :)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Well, the SR556 is a "piston" gun and apparently that idea never really caught on despite it supposed advantages. I believe several makers have dropped or scaled back their piston AR-style offerings.

Interesting,

I own the E configuration and selected it due to its reduced price compared to standard model. If the E had not been there, I would not have selected the more expensive SR556. I tried to like the Varmint model but the price and features made it too hard. That recall did not help my opinion.

My E model is a hell of a rifle and I have had zero problems.

Bill

Ruger45

Blackhawk
I am gonna go out on a limb here and say it is more they replaced the the SR 556 varmint and SR 556 E with the new AR. They still offer the SR 556 carbine and the SR 556. to go along with the SR 762.

9x19

Hunter
I can understand the draw down.

I bought one when they were intro'd but found that in my hands it suffered the same problems as the Sig 556 I owned... too much weight forward.

It shot OK, and stayed lubed longer than my DI guns, but it didn't do anything enough better than those, to justify its cost or odd balance.

They are nicely built and if you have to have a piston .223 with an AR lower, they are a great choice... but for my uses, their new AR556 fits the bill for much less $.

RSR556.jpg

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Ruger45 said:
I am gonna go out on a limb here and say it is more they replaced the the SR 556 varmint and SR 556 E with the new AR. They still offer the SR 556 carbine and the SR 556. to go along with the SR 762.

Yep

FergusonTO35

Hunter
If I was ever going to take the AR plunge it would be the econo model that just came out. Ruger quality at a price lower than most off brand rifles sounds really good to me. They were $599.95 at my local shop but he hasn't been able to get any since November. Their shelves indicate alot of people got AR's and lever actions for Christmas last year.

salemsam

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
I did not read this to say the SR556 is gone.

I've read it over and over, and looks to me that a Varminter (whatever that is) is gone, and the economy SR556 is gone.

WAYNO.

Is that why the big price drop - getting rid of inventory? - I picked up a VT model to supplement my Tavor, as the Tavor is basically an urban carbine and after a few rounds the rounds begin to drift from barrel wip. Which does not concern me as I consider it to be a 1 to 200 yard range

salemsam

Bearcat
Bill,

Have not picked it up from the Dealer yet. He is out of town until Saturday at 10 - will pick it up then. With what CDNN is selling them for, I could not pass it up - a lot less then what my Sig DMR set me back. Till trying to figure out what I am going to have to do to switch the A2 to a PRS stock - thinking might have to change out the tube, spring and buffer - doing research on that

Sam

dakota1911

Buckeye
I think the recent AR-556 has something to do with it also. I ended up getting one of those last fall to go with my SR-762. Nice little rifle.