Ruger PC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
I know this has prolly been discussed here b4, but recently I got to play with a buddies PC 40. I never really paid it much attention until now. It is a great lil' gun....but I don't understand why Ruger-

A) Never made it in .45ACP?
B) Why in the heck did they discontinue this neat carbine?

Any thoughts? :?:

96/44

Blackhawk
I'm sure poor sales are the reason it was discontinued, pistol caliber carbines are a niche market. Their competition was less expensive (hi-point) and available for more popular magazines (kel-tec). They are a tough, well designed gun though. I think if more LE agencys were using the SR9, it would be likely that Ruger might bring back the PC9 using SR9 mags. A PC45 would be sweet though!

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
I am looking at the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in .40, it uses Glock mags. It is not approved for sale in K alifornia (in factory config.), but I guess a few companies modify them with a bullet button & install a butt stock pad to increase the OAL as it is 29.5" factory.... a no-no in the PRC! :roll:

I really want a .45ACP, but the Marlin Camp .45 seems to be the sole option & they are pricey & the 3 guys I have talked to that have em'....2 have cracked stocks now!

gbreece

Bearcat
I just got a pc 40 and love it, have had kel tec, beretta, hi point and marlin but the ruger pc is the best shooting carbine i have ever had. Its my go to gun in a pinch at home.

Razor

Bearcat
mattsbox99 said:
Doesn't the HiPoint use Glock magazines?

No. It uses its own 10rd magazine.

I have a HiPoint and it has proven to be just as reliable and accurate as my PC9.

It doesn't have the warclub properties of the Ruger, though. :wink:

I think Ruger's idea with the PC rifles was to sell both pistols and rifles to law enforcement... same ammo and mags... cool idea but not really what the quasi-military LEOs really want... they all wanted .223 for their back up rifles...

lot of us citizens liked the combo, especially if we already had a p pistol in either 9mm or 40 cal.... some of us actually liked the combo so well we doubled up.

as for the 45 acp issue... I think it had to do with Ruger's policies back then.... they believed in creating guns that used their exclusive magazines.....

now that they've developed a 1911... they might, just might ... reconsider the 45 cal rifle idea.... but I doubt it.

RFP

Bearcat
I have a Beretta CX4 carbine in 45 ACP and you would not believe how accurate it is. It can be configured different ways without any tools and has a decent assortment of after market accessories.

hittman

Staff member
The LEO's had an unlimited supply of other peoples money. So .... they could afford .223's, tactical toys, etc.

We "subjects" are the only ones pinching pennies and appreciating the concept of taking a P95 and PC9 to the range and having a matched "set" with interchangable mags, etc.

Quick, easy, convenient and thrifty don't matter much when you're spending other peoples money.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
gunsamerica.com had a pc4 for $499 this week if interested. They only made 15,000 of them, so get one soon before i buy them all!!!!!!!!!
I have a pc9 and pc4 both accurate and rugged. worth every dollar i spent

Sparks1957

Bearcat
Hi all,

Been lurking here awhile, but now have something to talk about!

I'm pretty excited. I'll be heading out to the range in an hour or so to test out a Ruger PC9 that finally arrived yesterday.

This is one impressive little carbine from what I've seen so far, and I'd love to hear about any experiences with them folks here may have had.

If the SHTF, I've always believed having handguns and long guns in the same caliber made a lot of sense. Most 9mm carbines are butt-ugly in my opinion, and the only ones that aren't (Ruger PC9, Marlin Camp 9mm) are out of production. I think Ruger and Marlin would find a good market for these if they brought them back.

Sparks

The one 'thing' about the PCs is the trigger.. they were intentionally made with a real Military style trigger... the pull needed to trip the hammer on these things must be in the 10-14 lb range. has anybody ever checked this? The break is clean once you put enough pressure on the trigger and so with a little bit of practice, the rifle can be pretty accurate. I'd say you can work it down to MOH* free style standing at 50 yards.... but it takes some work and if you are used to shooting target rifles with 2-3 pound trigger pull it takes some getting used to.

*Minute of Head

The only other thing I would say that is a little against the rifle is the weight... these puppies are a little heavy for a 'small' carbine.

With all that said, I will say this... a few years ago my wife and I had a serious weather related event here in our town... to the point where we thought we were going to have to evacuate our home (city neighborhood)... even though we had a car parked up the street to leave in I was not sure how far we would get in it and so had to pack so that we could walk if we needed to. Think of going on a 3 day hike into the unknown... could be wilderness or urban.... I needed to figure out what to take for protection and not to brag but I do have a few choices (too many according to my wife)... it did not take long to figure out what to carry.... A P95 pistol (concealed) and a PC9 and about 4 15 round magazines.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Sparks1957 said:
Most 9mm carbines are butt-ugly in my opinion, and the only ones that aren't (Ruger PC9, Marlin Camp 9mm) are out of production. I think Ruger and Marlin would find a good market for these if they brought them back.
Sparks

I own a couple of Kel-Tec Sub 2000's (9 & .40) and (yes) they are sort of ugly... :lol:
The Hi Points are a bit better looking.... :?

I'll agree that if Ruger (Marlin has to many problems right now) were to bring back the PC series THEY WOULD sell! :D (I'd buy one).

Your logic about shared ammo is spot on,,,,,

Lateck,

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
they should have made a PC45.....the P90 is an excellent gun and some Police depts. used to carry P90's....but more carried P89's and the 40S&W.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
I'd love to plck up a PC9 one of these days. That is, unless Glock happens to come out with their own line of carbines. Other companies build guns to use Glock mags. Glock might as well get in on it. In that event, I'd take 5 of 'em; one for each of us! Just thinkin' of a Glock 9mm carbine with a good supply of their 33-rd mags gets me all giddy.

Sparks1957

Bearcat
there's a PC9 newly listed on gunsamerica for 575 or so, relatively cheap... no pics though so condition is unknown

http://www.gunsamerica.com/986122460/Guns/Rifles/Ruger-Rifles/Mini-14-Type/RUGER_PC9_9MM_CARBINE_BLACK_SYNTHETIC_LIKE_NEW.htm

sparks

JumpmasterC said:
I know this has prolly been discussed here b4, but recently I got to play with a buddies PC 40. I never really paid it much attention until now. It is a great lil' gun....but I don't understand why Ruger-

A) Never made it in .45ACP?
B) Why in the heck did they discontinue this neat carbine?

Any thoughts? :?:

I've got a PC4, and it's a gun I'll never part with.

Lots of criticisms from folks...Weight, looks, wrong caliber, wrong magazine, terrible trigger.

I'll speak of what I like about it.

Surprisingly accurate. It's another gun that with open-sights, any target you can see, is a target you'll hit. In spite of the blow-back action, the action stays clean. And, the report is quite mild. I don't advocate shooting without ear protection, but I when ya do shoot one without protection, I cannot imagine any center-fire with a milder report. The recoil is quite mild, too. Not that a .40 is ever hard-recoiling, but the weight of this carbine goes a long way to make these guns a true pleasure to shoot.

Now, in defense of the criticisms. Yep, it's a little stout. Part of what makes it so easy to shoot. Also a big part of why it was designed as a blow-back action. If it was a locked breach gun, it could be lighter, but then it wouldn't be such a simple, trouble-free gun. The heft of this gun has never been an issue to me, so trimming 6-ounces is a non-issue.

If the PC was considered too-expensive, it would have been even more so, in a .45.

Why discontinued? The idea was sound, but since most LE agencies have not accepted the P-Series handguns, the benefit of a two gun combination using the same ammo and magazine would not be utilized. As a "civilian" gun, I think the PC was doomed to failure from the beginning, as gun stores had little or no interest in the gun as a successful offering. When the PC's were new and available, I almost never saw one in stock and for sale in gun shops.

I will not defend the trigger, but I will tolerate it. The battle rifles I used in the Army also had heavy triggers. We worked with what we had. My PC4 is no worse.

I have given quite a few folks the opportunity to shoot my PC4, and my friend Heliman has done the same with his PC9. In every case, the shooters were in absolute awe of how great a gun these are, and can't understand why they were discontinued.

WAYNO.

Gumby

Bearcat
Coffee pot ... where are you????

He used to post on the RF, but I don't see him posting anymore. Coffee Pot was the guy who designed the Ruger PC's.

When I bought my PC9 I used to email him with all kinds of questions. He was always helpful. Hope he is doing well.

Gumby

COFFEE POT

Bearcat
There were prototypes made in .45 ACP and they shot like a dream. It was never put into production because of the cost involved to make the conversion and the sales of the carbine weren't all that stellar to begin with. It was too expensive to use as a plinker, and underpowered for hunting except for med game at close range. The cost of the .45 version to produce was no more than for the 9mm or .40 S&W and was still a blowback. The high cost involved was for the retooling of the stock. The upper management never felt that even picking up the 1911 crowd would justify the expense. The .45 would have been able to accept both Colt and Ruger mags by a quick changeout of the mag latch. It was a very niche market and the gun was just too expensive to build.

COFFEE POT said:
There were prototypes made in .45 ACP and they shot like a dream. It was never put into production because of the cost involved to make the conversion and the sales of the carbine weren't all that stellar to begin with. It was too expensive to use as a plinker, and underpowered for hunting except for med game at close range. The cost of the .45 version to produce was no more than for the 9mm or .40 S&W and was still a blowback. The high cost involved was for the retooling of the stock. The upper management never felt that even picking up the 1911 crowd would justify the expense. The .45 would have been able to accept both Colt and Ruger mags by a quick changeout of the mag latch. It was a very niche market and the gun was just too expensive to build.

Very nice to hear from you with the accurate scoop.

Thanks.

WAYNO.

Latest posts