Ruger MAX 9 vs. Kimber EVO Custom Shop (Very) informal comparison.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I took both of these pocket pistols to the range yesterday. I'm not sure if they are pocket pistols or sub compact or how you would classify them. They are almost identical in size. I think the Kimber is a bit thinner. It will slide into the holster I have for the MAX 9 but won't click "lock" into place. The MAX 9 will not fit into the holster I have for the Kimber.

2023-11-12_10-33-25_669.jpeg

2023-11-12_11-22-39_748.jpeg

The holsters pictured. The MAX 9 is a Vedder outside waistband holster, and the Kimber is a leather inside the waistband holster. Both holsters are comfortable, but I love the Vedder kydex holsters. They are really good quality.

2023-11-12_10-33-20_312.jpeg

So the Kimber EVO holds 7 rounds, with one in the chamber. The MAX 9 has a 10 and 12 round magazine. Shown is the 12 with the pinkie finger extension. The Kimber is a steel frame gun, so it's quite a bit heavier, probably twice the MAX 9. I don't have a scales. Both guns have a similar safety, that little trigger safety. Sorry, I don't know what it's called.

Surprisingly, both guns are pretty much the same in accuracy. At 7 or 8 yards (i don't measure) The point of impact is pretty much the point of aim. I'm very pleased with both. The trigger's even feel similar. Although I think the Kimber's trigger is just a bit more crisp, and perhaps a touch lighter.

2023-11-12_10-33-08_928.jpeg

I kind of like striker fired triggers. They are mushy, but in a good way. I like how it's a rolling break, and I've found I don't jerk as much when shooting them. Especially since there isn't that point with other triggers when people describe them as breaking like a glass rod. If that makes any sense. And, striker fired guns might have the same weight of trigger pulls, but they don't feel the same if the weight is similar to a hammer fired gun. They are softer.

2023-11-12_10-32-39_447.jpeg

So, I do think the Kimber has an ever so slightly nicer trigger. But the MAX 9's trigger is wonderful. It was the very first thing I noticed about this gun after I bought it. Plus the weight of the gun makes it less "snappy" than the MAX 9. So it's just a bit faster to get back on target.

I think the MAX 9 feels better in the had too. This is because it's slightly wider. And I like the fiber optic sights on the Ruger too. Although the Kimber does have really good quality sights. But it doesn't have a mounting point for a Red dot. I've had this Kimber for probably 5 years or so. It was bought before the big push to have optic cuts on semi autos. Not sure if the newer models do or not.

2023-11-12_11-21-01_300.jpeg

The Kimber does look nicer though. I love the stippling and the finish of the gun. I think Kimber did an amazing job. I don't have any other Kimber's to compare it to, but I'm really pleased with this little gun.

Both guns work flawlessly. When the Ruger was new, I did have to send it back because the slide would lock open on a non-empty magazine. Now, both guns work flawlessly, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry either. Each gun probably has around 500 rounds each though them. They are pretty fun to shoot.

Oh, a comment about magazines. On the Kimber EVO, notice in the picture above, the finger extension is backwards. If you were using this gun in a defensive situation and had to reload, you might just fumble it. It just looks like it would go the other way. I remember reading this note about the gun's magazine before I bought it.

2023-11-12_10-32-53_033.jpeg

I guess that's about it!

Attachments

• 2023-11-12_10-32-39_447.jpeg
    2023-11-12_10-32-39_447.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts