Ruger Mark IV Case

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kshaw

Bearcat
I just picked up a new Ruger Mark IV. After installing a rail and red dot sight, it will no longer fit in that molded plastic part of the case. I am sure that I am not the only owner that has this issue. Does Ruger have a solution?

Welcome to the Forum ,,,,,what we have been doing is taking the piece of plastic liner out of the black and red cases. get some egg crate foam the dark grey color or whatever you can find and trace the liner and cut it out with a electric kitchen knife, one on the top and one on the bottom use a thinner piece for the top and about a 2 in thick piece for the bottom, you can then put any number of guns in there or ones with a scope or optic on it...use your imagination , you can use styrofoam or other stuff too......:cool:;)
and as you already have the case, use the plastic liner for a "parts bin" and add the foam inserts as YOU like or need.......

Attachments

• Ruger case 1.JPG
    Ruger case 1.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Ruger case 2.JPG
    Ruger case 2.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 66
  • Ruger case 3.JPG
    Ruger case 3.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Go to your local "farm store" or gun shop and buy a cheap zipper case for it.
Surely you're not expecting Ruger to provide you storage options, right?

RUT

Single-Sixer
>>I am required to have it cased when I take it to the range. I am hopeful that Ruger would do something about this<<

Nothing says it has to be in the original case it came in, and I seriously doubt Ruger is going to do anything about it, nor should they.

Hankus

Blackhawk
If you have a Harbor Freight store in your area pick up one of their Apache brand hard cases. They're every bit as good as a Pelican and less than half the price.

Johnnu2

Hunter
For the past 50+ years, I've used an old hard-cased, locking, brief case that we used in the old days to go to work... removed all the extraneous innards and fill with flexible, egg-shell foam sold as 'mattress/bedding' support... It may have been a Samsonite brand IIRC. It's pretty big (maybe 5 - 6" in depth top cover to bottom cover). I can store a BUNCH of handguns in it, and usually put each gun in a gun sock for extra safety against scratches.
YMMV,
J.

contender

Ruger Guru
kshaw, "Welcome to the Forum!"

I'm surprised no one else has offered a "welcome" yet to a new member.

Ok, I understand your thoughts.

It's not a law,, but instead a range rule where you are to have a cased gun. In USPSA,, guns are required to be cased for transport from your vehicle, until they are in a safe area, where they are holstered. It's for safety.
But let's delve into your particular situation.
You've mounted a rail, and a red dot. Due to the number of various manufacturers of red dots, AND their shape,, it's very impractical for any manufacturer to try & build a case to fit all the variations. Besides,, they have no way of knowing what kind of red dot you may choose for your individual needs.
From the type like the Burris Fast Fire, to the UltraDot, to the Aimpoints,, all have very distinctly different shapes.
Ruger,, just like all other makers,, builds a case to fit the gun "As Built." When you customize it, adding a dot, a scope, a different set of grips, etc, you are changing the gun's profile.

Way too many variations for the original manufacturer to try & figure out how to build different cases to fit all variations.

A gun range likes to see cased guns as a safety measure. Fair enough.

For transport,, to & from a range,, you have been given some good ideas above.

As for storage, most of us who want our guns to stay in good shape,, do not use the factory boxes for storage either. Often, some cases can "rub" the guns when moved around,, and others,, especially foam lined ones,, can attract & keep moisture, which can damage a gun's finish. Many of us "old timers" have seen some rare and potentially valuable firearms ruined by long term storage in some cases. Foam, can have the ability to hold moisture. Any many fail to understand the fact that if you have a gun in your house,, and take it outside to your car & drive to a range, you went from around 72 degrees, to whatever the temperature is outdoors or in your car. The air has moisture, and it can & will condense inside a gun case, next to the metal. Left unchecked,, it can & will cause rust. Going from cool to hot, or warm to cold, & back & forth, is where this happens.

So, as suggested above,, you can get an inexpensive case, say from Harbor Freight, or other places,, cut out the profile you need for your gun, & use it to transport the gun. But for storage, after a shooting session, clean & wipe down the gun, but don't store it in the case.
A gun safe was mentioned,, and those are well worth the money. I can speak from personal experience. I had a home break-in several years ago, My safe kept the thug from getting a bunch of guns.

I hope this helps you understand why Ruger,, or for that matter, ALL manufacturers do not try & make their gun shipping cases "custom" for all variations of custom additions that are out there.

Not sure what else could be said on this matter. But here goes…

I really like the triangular shaped pistol rugs. I don't need one for each gun, just an assortment of different sizes.

Guns at home in the safe, I figure out which guns to shoot at the range, maybe take 3 or 4. Then choose appropriate sized pistol rug.

Then I need a rage bag to get the pistols in their individual cases to the range together. So another bag. But I've got several different sizes of those too, for 3 or 4 pistols or 2 or 3 etc.

Then I have a separate case for ammo. Only because guns and ammo together in one bag is just too heavy.

I have another bag for screwdrivers and other small tools I might need at the range.

Then I have a room in the house to store all these bags and cases.

It's a mess. And I don't think a bigger house will help. And I don't know what will.