Ruger LCP--hard to rack

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gene1

Bearcat
Mike, My grip tape on the slide is not a new thing to me, I have used it on all my 9mm handguns in the last 14 years or so because I was oer 80 & was getting harder to rack most any slide. This little LCP was a real hard one & I had thougts of getting rid of it without even shooting it.

The only guns that don't need the slide tape are the Ruger Security380 & S&W EZ 380 & the Ruger is the easiest. My LC380 needs the tape ,but not by much. I bought it when it first came out & like I said , with a laser it shoots great.
II am going to add some more tape on the front of the LCP tomorrow. I will add it to the front on both sides.My fiinger & hand strength is what goes bad. If I can be helped by the slide tape, most women should too. If all else faiils & you still want a mini autoin 380Co, look at a. Colt Mustang or Pocketlite9 Same gun) Sorry Ruger, but they are going for $700 & up & are 6 shot..

As mentioned several times get the Security .380 or S&W EZ .380. I have the Glock 42 and happy with it. The other route is a Ruger LCR in .357 but carry .38+P and train with standard pressure .38. The .357 is around 4 oz heavier than the LCR .38 and is easier for me to shoot than the .38 model. And there are the Smith J frame models. I wouldn't worry about capacity or what caliber produces how much energy. Having a gun and the skill to use it and most importantly situational awareness is what is important. Due to the "A" word I don't carry my LCP Custom any more and carry the Glock 42. I've put Talon or skateboard tape on all my Glock slides except the 42. BTW my wife has to open many of my bottle of water or other drinks due to my lack of finger strength. I really like the Ruger Security .380 but it is as large as my Glock 26 which I can rack the slide with the tape on the slide. The really rough textured skateboard like tape works the best for me.

I haven't shot it yet but to help me rack my LCP II I removed the smaller recoil spring. Much easier to rack . Now if it will function 'under fire' I have solved one problem
My guess is that it won't reliably feed and return to battery anywhere near 100 percent. I think they're borderline to begin
with. I have two early LCP and went with two pound heavier springs to make them a bit better when either hot or dirty from
extended firing. Yes, I know that's not really something LCPs were made for.
Your LCP II may be different.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I also need a lighter racking pistols and have found the 380 and Ez pistols by Ruger to be acceptable. But what I found lately is the Taurus pistols to be the easiest for me to use. They have the racking force down to an exact science.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I do have the Ruger 380 which is OK to rack. The security 9 is more difficult for me. I just bought 2 Taurus, one is a 9mm and the other is 10mm both are easier than the Ruger 9 to rack.

Armybrat

Buckeye
,,,reminds me, I saw two of the original LCPs for sale at the Berea gunshow this weekend, and I could not,,,, could NOT rack the slides back on either one of them...recall when Ruger closed them out for $149........oh well..........:unsure:(n)
I thought mine was a good close out deal at $170.
Just stuck it in the safe and it is still unfired since the factory.

IMG_1699.jpeg

Latest posts