Ruger Hawkeye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DWL

Bearcat
Hello experts, Please school me in the Ruger Hawkeye.

I have run across a Ruger Hawkeye (.256 single shot) forsale. The handgun is in very nice condition, with just a minimal amount of ware on the sides of barrel at the tip. The sale does include the box, not sure about manual or other documents. It is a 4 digit serial numbered handgun and has been shot

It is priced at about $1,600. I have tried to do some research and can't find too much on these handguns, other than there were not too many manufactured. I did fine one listed on a gun auction site, but the auction description indicates it is in un-fired condition, price is over twice that of the one I found.

Is this a fair price? I assume this is pretty much a handloading only type firearm. How much of a following do they have?

Thank you
DWL

Greetings, and welcome to the Forum, and as you said if it is the old model Hawkeye (as there are other models named "Hawkeye" these days, and if it is the original old model two piece box, that is one heck of a deal, most of us would have been all over it by now...go for it
yes, that "package" is worth WAY more than $1600........ :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I agree with Dan, grab it while the grabbin's good.

About the Hawkeye:

They have a cult following both as collector pieces and/or shooters. Very accurate, flat shooting cartridge with mild recoil, a lot of fun to shoot.

256 ammo or cases show up from time to time here on this forum and the on-line auctions. It uses the 357 case so can be readily formed as well. Already formed 357 cases also show up for sale.

Collectibility and price is based on originality, as always. Hawkeyes came drilled and tapped for scopes on the top of the 8 ½" barrel. But are often found re-drilled after-market on the top of the frame. This can drop the potential value $1000, but still worth ~$1500 in good condition w/o box.

If re-blued by Ruger, these are nearly impossible to tell that they are refinished except to an astute collector with a knowing eye.

They are not rare but scarce, especially in excellent condition.
3296 were made in 1963 and 1964. Some of them have a different feature; a removable breechblock stop pin in the earlier models but sporadic thru out the serial range like mine. And of course with lower serial numbers are worth more, especially with box and papers, of course.

Ruger Old Army stainless steel grip frame swapped to replace alloy grip frame, # 2516. They have a reinforced ejector rod seen here:
large.jpg

They have a wide style SBH grooved trigger and a rifle type case rim extractor on the chamber end:
IMG_2536_zps30bpozvw.jpg

And they breath fire:
Tyronee%20Hawkeye%20w-%20ring-1_zpszxvkep92.jpg

DWL

Bearcat
Thank you both for your information. I will go back for another look.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
How much? $1600 WOW.
I know a guy that really likes the 256 Win Mag cartridge and has two rifles chambered for it. :D

bogus bill

Hunter
I had one new in the box many years ago. I shot it and loaded for it. I also still own a s&w .22 jet. Both will almost make your ears bleed if you don't wear muff`s. I still have a barrel in my T/C contender for it. Once had a Martini rifle customized for it. Still have dye`s and cases. Would like to have a Winchester or browning 92 made up for it. Flat shooting, next to no recoil, loud sharp muzzle blast. Sold my Hawkeye for partial down payment for a divorce lawyer.

all good info above, and it runs the gamut, we''ve seen them for around $750 ( a few years ago and it had 7 holes, 5 "extra" drilled and tapped, for lanyards and all) and we've seen "new in the box with the shipper, our late friend Bob C bought off another friend and he paid $3000...go way back to the early days of our first gun shop, we had them in stock and could NOT get 'retail' of $86.50,,,they were a tough sell back then, in fact I recall they never did "finish" all of them,,,,,,hhhmmmm
so as I said, if its "original" by all means $1600 for the "package" is a deal.... :wink:

DWL

Bearcat
Ok, I went back for a second look. Handgun has some blueing ware, nothing out of the ordinary for a 50+ year old gun that has been used. The frame top has NOT been drilled and tapped. The only holes for a scope mount are in the barrel and it looks as if there was a scope mounted at one time. Grips are in good shape.

The box is not the original 2 piece red and black box. It is a yellow one piece flap lid box, it is in good shape. No label on the box.

I am still tempted, but this would be the most expensive firearm purchase I would have every made. Which is why I am trying to do some homework.

Thank you all for the input.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I understand the dilemma. But you're not likely to get another chance like this one. One thing to consider is the advantage of a good deal; you won't have any problem getting your money back and probably more if you decide later to resell it.

Remember one truism about buying guns most of us have learned the hard way: "The sting of remorse over passing up a good deal lasts a lot longer than the sting of the price!"

contender

Ruger Guru
At $1600 for a Hawkeye is still a good deal. If the box had been correct,,, a MUCH better deal. I shot my first one at the tender age of 17 & WISHED I'd scraped up the money to buy a dozen of them back then. It took me 34 years from that time to get my first one. And I paid more than $1600 for it. That's me shooting the one with the fire ring above. Last year in Idaho.

48flyer

Single-Sixer
Here's a box for one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sturm-Ruger-Box-For-Single-Shot-256-Win-Mag-/391522975659?hash=item5b28967fab:g:q-cAAOSwJqpXoQ8d

DWL

Bearcat
Thank you all for the input! I went back for a 3rd time this morning, with my wife's approval, the Hawkeye was still there. :shock: I did not leave it in the store when I left this time! The bonus was the store was doing a weekend deal on used guns, 10% off. So, I was at $1,450 out the door with background check.

This was the second firearm I purchase from the big outdoor box store this week. I purchased a Winchester Model 52 small bore bench rifle earlier this week. While deciding on the rifle, that's when I spotted the Hawkeye.

Thanks for the input :D

bogus bill

Hunter
Back in the early 1970`s I had a pair of repro`s colt navy`s I had paid $29.95 each for. Cheapo`s with the brass frames. Maybe EMF. A friend traded me a still new in the box Hawkeye for them! Later about 1986, I sold it for $1,200s to help pay for my divorce lawyer.