Ruger Flagship Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I scratch my head with all the new calibers hitting the shelves; 30 Supercarry being another. Never did understand the 327 magnum, given the D.A. S&Ws and Colt 32-20s were available over century ago.
A lot of it is just marketing and being proprietary. Advancements in powder and bullet technology could require changes in case construction etc. There will always be short markets for the latest and greatest of anything. Does anyone think that Bill Ruger would have let the 460&500S&W's go unanswered??? You have to say screw the bean counters every now and then to Save Your Soul!!!

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
It's pretty novel as well. My idea from the start would be for Ruger to use tech already available to them and with a few tweaks create something epic.
They already make the Super Redhawk. A few small tweaks to the CNC file could stretch the frame as far as needed. Same for the cylinders. A few crane mods and switch cylinders would be no problem. Going from a solid barrel to a sleeved barrel again a few hours with the CNC files. Adding a few rails again not Rocket Surgery. Switchable barrel tubes would allow accurately hurling 500gr+ subsonic and 150gr to 4,000 fps accurately out of the same gun. You could slap a 4-6" barrel on it for carry in Rhino country or a 12-16" barrel and bipod for long range showing off. Making it Switch Caliber would just be further flexing of their absolute superiority over anyone to date!!! I'm sure a decent R&D team could prototype something in under a month and have everything ready for a production run in 6 months. I'm not even suggesting anything that hasn't already been done just combining them into something entirely different.
Funny thing is, nobody wants any of that. The market ain't there. There's a reason nobody makes the guns you describe....nobody wants them!

But from your posts in this thread, you just seem to find joy in kicking others in the nuts when they say which revolvers they like and find useful if that contradicts your all-knowing enlightenment.

Keep dreaming and insulting others with your condescending ridicule. I suppose it makes you feel important or manly or something. I'm pretty sure the companies building useful revolvers that actually sell in the market by the hundreds and thousands know what their customers want better than you. But, feel free to carry on.

I posted about what could be Rugers Flagship into the future. What would advance revolvers in a way that could make them even more significant than they have ever been. The consensus is that Ruger died with Bill. I'll be sure to post what my 40 year old Dan Wesson can do when I push lightweight Brass bullets over 3,000fps just because it is the most innovative and versatile revolver ever made. Ruger! It's better than a Hi Point could be the ad campaign.

The consensus is that Ruger died with Bill.
I guess I don't see that. Although there are some occasional hiccups in quality control, their customer service seems excellent. They've brought out some innovative products that provide a lot of performance for the money. They didn't start putting decent barrels on their guns until after Ruger was gone. My No.1's and M77's from the '70s and '80's aren't as accurate as they could be because of oversized groove diameters and ridiculously long and fat chamber throats. Ruger wouldn't allow the company to sell decent sized magazines to us peons for the Mini 14 is spite of the demand. I highly doubt there would be any Ruger AR style rifles if Bill Ruger was there. His opinions about the 2nd Amendment were right there with Mitt Romney's. I could go on. There is no doubt Ruger was a great designer and entrepreneur, but he had his blind spots.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I scratch my head with all the new calibers hitting the shelves; 30 Supercarry being another. Never did understand the 327 magnum, given the D.A. S&Ws and Colt 32-20s were available over century ago.
I have 0 interest in that 30 Super Carry , I don't even know what it is

.327 Magnum probably would have caught on in 1967 instead of 2007 , it was designed to sell guns and was kind of a bust. I have a .327 GP100 in my safe, I put a box through it like 10 years ago. I never did use .32 H&R as a "special " in it. 32-20 S&W were apparently popular 100 years ago , I don't know what it offered over .38 Special

I was a nuke Guard when .40 was the go to LE round, that also died out. The security company had to have Glock 22s because all the local PDs used it. My local gun shop doesn't want anything in .40, no consignment , no trades, in fact a guy brought a Sig .40 in and my dealer was like no, no , I've got .40 pistols coming out my azz, I don't even wanna see it, I can't even sell what I've got no one wants that crap" the mention of a .40 pretty much enrages him 😃 he's had a Beretta 96 in the case that he's said probably 10 people a day ask to see then hand it back like "oh I thought it was a 9 nevermind"

I kicked around consigning my .44 Super Blackhawk Hunter and my other gun shop is like, that Fudd gun will sit in here for a year I wouldn't even bother.

Fudds don't spend money , they still have a cut down Krag they hunt with and a soup can full of crusty 30-40. Gunmakers churn out the plastic fantastic poppers,
5.56 rifles and 1911s the people who do drop $ are buying. My gun club is pretty much in my backyard and just today I heard someone lighting off tons of what sounded like 5.56/.223, probably through a high end AR. I've seen the aftermath of probably these same people, the ground is littered with Wolf cases and the target backers are all blasted up. But these are the guys who spend on new guns.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I posted about what could be Rugers Flagship into the future. What would advance revolvers in a way that could make them even more significant than they have ever been. The consensus is that Ruger died with Bill. I'll be sure to post what my 40 year old Dan Wesson can do when I push lightweight Brass bullets over 3,000fps just because it is the most innovative and versatile revolver ever made. Ruger! It's better than a Hi Point could be the ad campaign.
Ruger has an entire Board of Directors that decide what sells and what doesn't.

They are not making a revolver in some weirdo caliber to sell to 10 people. They tried with the .480 Ruger and no one was there to buy.

If people want high end , custom revolvers the market is there, it's a niche market. You want a 40" revolver in whatever .480 Linebaugh , I'm sure Bowen will take your money.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Back in the 1970s, DW produced 20,000+ "pork chop" .357s for High Standard. Here's an example of a 4" fixed-sight version that sold recently on GunBroker:

View attachment 28106
I had one of these, it was carried by a security guard. It was shot into near uselessness. Whoever owned it must have ran tons of .357 through it

I also had a high condition Dan Wesson 15 and it didn't do anything for me.

I had one of these, it was carried by a security guard. It was shot into near uselessness. Whoever owned it must have ran tons of .357 through it

I also had a high condition Dan Wesson 15 and it didn't do anything for me.

It's a pretty common observation, that a steady diet of full-power .357 loads is more than a lot of medium-frame revolvers can handle, including some classic & ultra-popular models from major manufacturers. And it's probably no surprise that folks who like DWs like 'em, and folks that don't like 'em don't like 'em (ditto for Glocks, S&Ws, 1911s, AR15s, single-shot rifles, Ford trucks, Twinkies, etc.)! One size just about never fits all, and it's great to have options!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:
I left the production barrels behind pretty early. All of mine were turned on centers to diameter and threaded before crowning and cutting my "Spade" forcing cone. That way I knew the bore was straight with everything else. If you look at traditional revolver barrels they are milled to shape and depending on how the part is indexed the bore could be off all kinds of ways. Even Dan Wesson factory barrels were probably fed from the headstock in lengths meaning the bore could be off in the finished barrel. We are talking thousandths of an inch but every bit counts. I dug out the 6" factory barrel and it spits lead pretty violently. My Douglas with the Spade cone not at all. I think I have over 20 barrels for this thing!!! And now I'm going to see if I can accurately push 150gr Lehigh's over 2,000fps!!! That'll be another 3-5 barrels before I get it dialed in. The only reason I haven't milled it for rails is that I can't bring myself to violate the amazing mirror black bluing. So perfect and uniform. Colt Peacock blue is a solid second but nowhere near as consistent. If you look at Gen 1 porkchops you can see the different alloys took bluing differently like one was forged and the other billet. My gen 2 the finish is uniform and still amazes me every time I look at it.

Last edited:

Mus408

Hunter
Well I have a Cimarron 1872 Colt OT that I swap out barrels and calibers with. Started as a .44 Special with 7.5 barrel but now can also be a 3 inch barrel 44 belly gun or a 5 inch 38 Special. Nice conversion shooter!

Yes, this is a gun I would certainly choose if that time comes and we have to choose which gun.
This gun really is Built like a frigging solid tank. I would not even want to guess how many rounds it would be capable of firing throug h one. If I had to scrounge for ammo, there most likely would be 9mm. 357 would be suited for about anything.

Ruger Blackhawk 9mm/357 converible

3Elis8k.jpg

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
What I am getting from these threads is that most are happy with their Jon Boat and have no use for a Flagship. Man's got to know his limitations I guess.

I remember "walking" a Ruger Single Six .22 mag onto a bush the size of a garbage can at 500 yards (with witesses) when I was ~20. So, my 'jon boat" is good enough for me.

I admit I like my Glock 357 Sig for EDC but, for woods with the possibility of moose and grizzlies, I still carry my OM Blackhawk!

Ruger wants a "flagship", they should make a Python-quality revolver.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Yes, this is a gun I would certainly choose if that time comes and we have to choose which gun.
This gun really is Built like a frigging solid tank. I would not even want to guess how many rounds it would be capable of firing throug h one. If I had to scrounge for ammo, there most likely would be 9mm. 357 would be suited for about anything.

Be better if 45 Colt/45 acp.

I remember "walking" a Ruger Single Six .22 mag onto a bush the size of a garbage can at 500 yards (with witesses) when I was ~20. So, my 'jon boat" is good enough for me.

I admit I like my Glock 357 Sig for EDC but, for woods with the possibility of moose and grizzlies, I still carry my OM Blackhawk!

Ruger wants a "flagship", they should make a Python-quality revolver.
I've done all kinds of stunt shots over the years with what I had available as well. I don't own any fancy brand guns. My 300EBR started as a $350 Remington 7400!!! The current Flagship Revolver is the S&W X frame. It has eclipsed almost every factory revolver to date. My whole point was What can Ruger build that would make a full boat Performance Center X frame look lame? What could Ruger Build that would outperform the X frame in every way? Currently Ruger is shooting blanks in comparison.

Last edited:
THIS IS WHAT THE CURRENT FLAGSHIP LOOKS LIKE!!! Evidently Smith and Wesson is already building what I imagined. At least someone cares enough to stay on top. After S&W threw Civillian Gun Owners under the bus I would rather buy the Taurus!!!
Screenshot_20230704-065424.jpg

Last edited:
Never mind Taurus is already making it. Bill Ruger is turning in his grave. How pathetic is it that Ruger is insignificant next to a Taurus???
Screenshot_20230704-061449.jpg

Last edited:
Funny thing is, nobody wants any of that. The market ain't there. There's a reason nobody makes the guns you describe....nobody wants them!

But from your posts in this thread, you just seem to find joy in kicking others in the nuts when they say which revolvers they like and find useful if that contradicts your all-knowing enlightenment.

Keep dreaming and insulting others with your condescending ridicule. I suppose it makes you feel important or manly or something. I'm pretty sure the companies building useful revolvers that actually sell in the market by the hundreds and thousands know what their customers want better than you. But, feel free to carry on.
Evidently Smith and Wesson and Taurus are already making them. Everything I envisioned. Whodathunk. Ruger left in the dust by Taurus. Sacrilege.