Ruger American versus Ruger Hawkeye rifles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wunbe

Buckeye
The differences I see favor the cheaper American hands down!

Adjustable accu-trigger, free floated barrel, and action bedding in a synthetic block inside a synthetic stock. Plus a much lower MSRP!

The Hawkeye gives you old tech in wood that is fence post grade at a much higher price -- the same recipe for erratic performance since the first 77s came on line but w/o the pretty wood of yore.

wunbe

wesm

Bearcat
Some of us prefer a traditional rifle and view part of the attraction to a rifle to be its quality and appearance. I just parted witb a synthetic-stocked Savage in order to purchase an M77. The Savage was plenty accurate, but I simply could not see it as an "heirloom-quality" rifle. I wanted something I'd be proud to hand down to my sons, and to me that means blued steel and wood.

I'm sure the American is every bit as capable as the M77, but I detest the trend across the entire firearms industry away from craftsmanship and towards synthetic-stocked econorifles.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
If I were gunless and broke and wanted to shoot a Bambi or 2 every year the American is fine.

If I lived in Alaska and my life or livelihood depended on a rifle it would be an All Weather Hawkeye----much higher on the durability/toughness scale.

30WCF

Bearcat
Now that's what I want to hear. I've always gone for the tough rugged type, in my guns, not my women.
Although one that still likes camping would be nice. :)