Ruger Alaskan front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DC Plumber

Bearcat
Ruger sells a replacement front sight or the Alaskan. It suggests gunsmith installation my be needed. Has anyone replaced their front sight with this factory sight and done the work by themselves? I've considered just painting the front sight but for $50 I wouldn't mind graving this sight. Thank you in advance.

contender

Ruger Guru
While I haven't done any sight work on an Alaskan, I have done it on a few other guns. It isn't hard to do if you have moderate skills.

G2

Hunter
I think what it refers to is you need to apply a clamp to hold it in place and then drill thru the sight body with the small drillbit and then re-drift the pin back in.

My stock Alaskan front sight developed a slight side to side wiggle, I also think it looks like they forget to design for it and at the last minute threw the blade on.....
SO I built my own. :wink:
left.jpg

frontcu.jpg

rhgtcu.jpg
[/

DC Plumber

Bearcat
Nice sight G2,

So the hole needs to be drilled in the replacement sight, then re-use the drift pin?

Do know of better designs out there for the Alaskan than the factory offerings? Where did you get yours or did you literally make your own?

Thanks,

DC

G2

Hunter
Nice sight G2,
Thank you

So the hole needs to be drilled in the replacement sight, then re-use the drift pin?
Yes, If you look at the light tube blade that is offered @ the Ruger website it has a half moon circle on the bottom of the blade, this is the part of the blade that goes into the gun. Once installed you drill it from each side, partway from one side and finish coming from the other side. You are dealing with very tight tolerances, thousandths.
If you carefully drift out the pin, there is no problem re-using it.

Do know of better designs out there for the Alaskan than the factory offerings?
There are not but if you go to Bowen Custom Arms there is a picture of a nice DX sight but it is a drill and tap situation to mount the base.
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/catalog/ruger_double_action_basic_packages.html

Where did you get yours or did you literally make your own?
I did make it. Some think it is shorter than the factory sight blade but in fact it is + ~2 thousandths taller. I have had some other interested parties wanting one but it literally took me hours to make and install. :roll: I am looking into having some cnc/milled by a friend but it's one of those projects that "when we have extra time" ,,, and we never seem to find the time. :roll:

Thanks, DC
Your Welcome :D