Ruger 77/50

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hunter222

Bearcat
I have a ruger 77/50 that I am considering modifing the bolt for 209 conversion.
I noticed brad502 did a conversion a couple years ago. Does anybody have any information on this modification?

Thanks

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I have not had the chance to run mine through the paces yet but a lot of reading up on this subject shows the 209 conversion may not be such a good idea in the 77/50. On the other hand , using the number 11's and trying different powders , people have had excellent results leaving it in factory form.

I plan on leaving mine stock. I don't see a reason to change to the 209 myself.

Chief 101

Hunter
I bought one that had that conversion done...100 bad shots later I replaced the parts to factory original and now it is a tack driver...#11 and Pyrodex RS is mainly what I shoot but I have shot almost everything out there. Oh yea improved Minies from a Lee mold is what I am shooting....good luck

Chief 101

Hunter
Thats one I never tried, what I did try was pyrodex, goex bp, and triple seven. All were eratic with shotgun primers, plus, shotgun primers were more difficult to seat. The only bullets used was the 360 gr minnies. You may have better luck with shotgun primers than I did but if my 77/50 came completely stock I would have never even thought about changing it as it shoots so well this way. I never chrono'd it but with the shorter barrel I only used 90 gr of powder, and, could shoot 10 shots without cleaning using a heavy brass rod dto load with. Chief aka Maxx Load

hunter222

Bearcat
Thanks for the information. If anyone else has any opinions, I would appreciate the input.

rh44mag

Bearcat
I bought my 77/50 from another member already converted and never had and issue. I shoot 2 pyrodex 50gr pellets under a saboted 240gr txp hornady. I have only about 50 of these loads thru this gun. I have never had an issue. This is my absolute favorite gun

hunter222

Bearcat
rh44mag,
Can you tell me a little more about the conversion?
Maybe a picture of plug and bolt nose.

Chief 101

Hunter
The conversion firing pin has a bump on it the size of a firing pin extended thru a bolt face. The breech plug is set up for a shotgun primer. Takes 2 simple parts for the conversion which I suspect one could modify the existing parts to make do.
I never had any use for black powder substitute pellets personally but that may be the reason one needs to convert to 209 primers.
I have a Breech plug for the 209's if you are interested, then you would only need to drill the boltface and add the firing pin protrusion...easy task for gunsmith///just sayin.

hunter222

Bearcat
Cheif 101
I have a 209 nipple that will fit the ruger plug.
I will have to find a smith to make the firing pin.
Thanks

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
I put a conversion kit in my 77/50 and trashed the sear and bolt,i sent it back to ruger and they fixed it and told me not to use the 209 primers in the gun it was not designed for them

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Before you do it, I'd suggest calling Ruger Customer Service, I remember somethign about the 209 conversions causing problems/damage to the guns.

I bought one that had the conversion, and the Ruger parts, and sent it into Ruger for them to go thru,
called customer service and got the comment that the gun had not been damaged by the conversion and that they had returned it to factory. I sent in all the parts, and not to use the 209 Primer system. They returned the 209 primer conversion part with the gun, and really happy how it shoots from the factory.

Use Pryodex and salboted bullets and really happy. Going to try #7 pellets in it eventually.

Chief 101

Hunter
rugerdczr said:
I put a conversion kit in my 77/50 and trashed the sear and bolt,i sent it back to ruger and they fixed it and told me not to use the 209 primers in the gun it was not designed for them
Coincidence? I bought mine with thhe conversion parts in it, didn't take long(maybe 10 90grain shots) and it was in the same condition as yours. I dont know how the sear was affected but it would fire as you closed the bolt. Ruger put it back to where it should be lickity split. It is just interesting that the sear would have been damaged. Chief aka Maxx Load

BadgerRidge

Bearcat
The original system launched the firing pin rearward when fired. This stressed the sear, and was amplified at higher loads/pressures. That is why the sears sheared and failed.

This is the fix:

feeding-3_orig.jpg

Seals the breech up and the nose holds the primer into the breech plug. No more rearward thrust on the firing pin. Blackhorn 209 compatible.

http://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p53/Ruger209install