RUGER’S NEW 308 AR RIFLE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I like it. Think I'll wait a bit tho and see if the retail prices come down some. It's never just about the bare rifle price. Gotta figure in scope, mags, sling, bipod, and ammo costs at a minimum. That will add a few hundred to the MSRP.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I'm not a fan of the AR15 family of cartridges.
Been wishing for one of these for a long time, lo and behold here comes Ruger!
Will visit LGS tomorrow and get in line!

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I own the now-discontinued Ruger SR-762 and love it. Very accurate and reliable. It does weigh 8.6 pounds compared to the SFAR at 6.8 pounds, and was considerably more expensive list price. I killed several large feral hogs with it. If the SFAR functions as well as the (piston mechanism) SR-762, it will be a great seller.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 8.50.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 8.50.33 PM.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 70
I'm waiting to see one 'in person'. There were several reasons why the AR15 platform wasn't suitable for the '308 class cartridges', one of which was bolt diameter and the other major factor was bolt travel.
The AR10 platform is heavier due in part to the scaled up bolt and magazine--the additional aluminum in the lower/upper only adds a few ounces. Not much way to get around this. Guess we'll see.

instructor

Single-Sixer
Local gun store at one time had the SR556 and the SR762 on the shelf and bought the SR556. Should have also bought the 762 as well at the time. Pleased with the SR 556 and its performance, but the rifle is definitely on the heavy side. According to Ruger they have peeled off some 2lbs or more from this new offering and that is a definite plus. Anxious to see when one arrives at the LGS.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I spent my money on a new Remington M-870, and someday maybe I will get an M-4.
But I ain't paying that much for a rifle.😑
Call me a cheapskate, and I won't mind.

I got to fondle one at LGS this afternoon. It's okay but my attention quickly turned to a new Ruger built Trapper 45-70! I acquired a Remlin Trapper about four weeks ago so I'm torn weather I need the Ruger or not......🧐