RSS4X Just Added more Pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Found RSS4X today serial number 21-36430. Box and magnum cylinder numbered to gun. Red and black box with stick on label. Condition 95% or better. 4 5/8" barrel, wood grips. Picked up today. Condition better than I though. Magnum cylinder looks unfired. Small amount of freckling on one flute of LR cylinder. Rest of gun looks near perfect.

Can anyone help me with value of gun

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Those are nice guns. In 95%, I would value that around $600-$650 with the box. If it were LNIB, $750. These prices are for original unconverted condition.

street

Hunter
That is a very nice gun to get. As for the box! Only the first few RSS4s in 1959 had a box that was made for that model. After that, because Ruger made so few of these guns they used the RSS5 boxes and used a sticker for the RSS4 guns. Your box with the sticker on the end should be the correct box for your gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
That gun was shipped in 1972. Looks nice,,, but it also appears in the last pic where the gun is in the background,,, that the frame shows what may be suspected polishing & a re-blue. In studying the other pics,,, it's hard to tell. I've looked hard at the 2nd pic & in some way,,, it appears that the screw heads show a small amount of "dishing" around them, and then again, it appears to just be the lighting. I wish I had the gun in hand to really look closely.

I'M NOT SAYING IT'S A RE-BLUE,,, it's just my thinking as I saw the bottom pic appears to show more distortion which could EASILY be the angle of the camera shot.

street

Hunter
1gunsnotenough said:
I'll post some pics with outside lighting this afternoon.
We need a very good close up of the stamping of the address on the barrel. and the front of the cylinder where the base pin goes through it. This will give us a good idea if it has been re-blued. Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
These latest pics do help a LOT. I concur with those above,,, not a blue. My guess is the other pics angles & flash or lighting made me wonder. Very nice package!

h bone

Bearcat
Nice gun and very nice box. Owned one or two several years ago, wish I had kept them. Definitely not a reblued gun. Looks all original to me. But the box is certainly scarce to rare.

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Yeah, really nice piece; one just like it, box and all, was my first venture into collecting OM Rugers, wasn't quite as nice as this one. Sold it a couple years ago because I wanted the same setup in the pre '62 XR3 gripframe mode; finally found one of those, complete with a box.
HH

JCW64

Single-Sixer
RR, you have a good memory. They look good together!
1gunsnotenough, that is a good looking RSS4X as well. Love those short barrels!

Latest posts