Roasting Coffee Beans

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Any you all roast your own coffee?

I'd like to give it a try but no idea where to start? What kind of roaster, best place to get green beans, talking with a total newbie here.

Ideas?

Jeff

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
You might want to even look around for a local place that will roast. I live in a small town but have any awesome coffee place that will roast any beans they have any way I like.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
ChiefMuzz said:
You might want to even look around for a local place that will roast. I live in a small town but have any awesome coffee place that will roast any beans they have any way I like.

Chief,
There are a couple roasters around here too. I'd just like to learn how to do it myself.

Jeff

mjoinercpd

Bearcat
I think you can find internet videos of the process. Most I have seen recommend patience and a larger cast iron pan. Either stovetop or oven.

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyRfdF11g5k

737tdi

Hunter
I wish I could put you in touch with a guy I work with, he has gotten into this hobby in a big way. He is even buying his beans from suppliers somewhere in Latin America. He has started selling as well and has a website for retail. He does all of this out of his home. This is website http://www.royalbeans.com/. You might contact him and he may give you some advice. He is always yacking at work about it so I don't know.LOL

Karl

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
I like Burman Coffee Traders, family operation, great service, if you email a question you get an answer that day from the owners.

http://www.burmancoffee.com
Books;
"Home Coffee Roasting, Romance and Revival" by Kenneth Davids is very good. "The Art and Craft of Coffee" by Kevin Sinnott is pretty good. I learned more from the first one. Burman's has both, guess Amazon etc. probably does also.
Equipment;
The Fresh Roast SR500 is what I started with. Simple and easy to learn on. Limited on batch size so if you drink a lot of coffee you might wear it out. The Behmor 1600Plus is very nice and with a 1# batch size capability you can get a weeks worth done fairly quick. I am glad I started with the SR500 though, the Behmor comes with pre-programmed profiles and such but it might still be intimidating to start on. Think a Single Stage Press and a Scale against a Dillon XL,,,,

PM me if you like
Kevin

blume357

Hawkeye
Interesting how things change over time.... it used to be that not only did coffee beans come whole but also green and not only did you have to grind the beans but you had to roast them first.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Thanks for the replies. At work now (don't tell my boss). Will check out those websites when I get home.