REVHIGH's 1911 Challenge

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Sure enough, I get home and have to tighten all the parts and screws those mighty 36 grain 22LRs shook loose on the Smith.
Yeah, it's a pretty gun .... that's about all.

That's been my experiences too with Smiths ... I don't own them anymore. They're pretty, but that's where it ends for me.

Those 36 grain 22's ARE pretty jarring though .... :D

REV

scottl

Bearcat
I've owned three brands of 1911's:para,Springfield,and Ruger.

Could Rev take those that I've owned lay them out on a table then blindfold me and I tell the difference....You betcha I could and here's why.

Para LTC:
SHot good.Hit where aimed.I liked it but the Springfield Operator caught my eye.And here's how I would know I picked it up...Trigger pull with Series 80 safety was on par with my Browning Hi- Power with mag safety removed.
100_0220.jpg

Springfield Champion Operator:
Tightest of the three.More accurate than I am.Dual recoil springs and heavy ILS mainspring plus tight fit took some effort to get the slide back.This is how I would know it.
IMGP0249.jpg

Ruger:
4 lb trigger pull,easy to pull slide back would rule out the other two.
ruger2.jpg

There are three examples of bone stock 1911's that one owner would know the difference and how.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Sounds good .... But you're well outside the parameters of the challenge .... Apples and oranges as they say. Not only that ... The LTC is a commander model, not a govt model.

You got some real nice guns there, but they're not in the same price class, or at the same quality level, or even the same size, which was the whole idea of the challenge, to compare guns at the same entry level price point.

Beautiful guns, and great choices in 1911's ! Love the Operator ! Too bad about that rail .... :D

REV

hittman

Staff member
Ahhh ..... a Para. Don't know why that brand interests me so; maybe just because you don't see them around here often. Local guy is trying to sell me a GI Expert for a fair price. Still can't decide if I want another 1911.

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Ahhh ..... a Para. Don't know why that brand interests me so; maybe just because you don't see them around here often. Local guy is trying to sell me a GI Expert for a fair price. Still can't decide if I want another 1911.

I thought you would have snapped that up by now ! :D

REV

hittman

Staff member
revhigh said:
hittman said:

REV

I know, I know ..... you said I should buy it and I likely will. It was you that also hooked me on the P95 and P90 guns. You were right on those also ...... darn fine guns for the money!

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
revhigh said:
hittman said:

REV

I know, I know ..... you said I should buy it and I likely will. It was you that also hooked me on the P95 and P90 guns. You were right on those also ...... darn fine guns for the money!

Where is that gun by the way ? Just out of curiosity ... What's the guys phone number ? :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
scottl said:
Springfield Champion Operator:
Tightest of the three.More accurate than I am.Dual recoil springs and heavy ILS mainspring plus tight fit took some effort to get the slide back.This is how I would know it.
IMGP0249.jpg

Hint ... Add a Smith and Alexander mag well to that Operator, and that ILS is a thing of the past. First thing I do to a Springfield 1911.

PS ... Can't you grind that rail off ? :mrgreen:

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
But . . . but . . . that rail is so TACTICAL!!!!

;)

Behave Ale ! :mrgreen:

Scottl .... We're just teasing you because I like my 1911's more bare bones. That's a great gun .... Except for that hideous rail. LOL.

Here's a Springer GI that I juiced up a little bit. Shoots almost as good as my Gold Cups, and has the best trigger of any 1911 I've ever owned. This one is strictly range though. Trigger is just over 3 lbs and crisp as a glass toothpick. Close to being scary. Nobody shoots it but me and a few very experienced 1911 shooters.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
"That's a great gun .... Except for that hideous rail. LOL"

Behave, Rev ! :mrgreen:

Nice work on the target. Two hands or "bullseye"?

Standard relaxed Weaver .... Just what comes natural to me. 2 hands ... 50 feet.

Wish that gun had better sights, but it just has the standard GI Junkers. Thought about changing them, but I kinda like the way it looks.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Hey, it's "GI" . . . that's how it's supposed to look. My 1943 Rem-Rand looks like that, only more "experienced" . . . and it's the one I shoot the most.

;)

I hear ya ... I love that Springer .... Bought it right here on the forum for $400 4-5 years ago.

REV

scottl

Bearcat
revhigh said:
Sounds good .... But you're well outside the parameters of the challenge .... Apples and oranges as they say. Not only that ... The LTC is a commander model, not a govt model.

You got some real nice guns there, but they're not in the same price class, or at the same quality level, or even the same size, which was the whole idea of the challenge, to compare guns at the same entry level price point.

Beautiful guns, and great choices in 1911's ! Love the Operator ! Too bad about that rail .... :D

REV

Only one "odd" is the Champion.Both the Para and Ruger are the same.Commander length,no ambi,cast frame with forged slides.The Series 80 is the only difference.~$600-$700 guns.And as far as price point goes the Operator only cost me $825 BNIB.So that puts it on par with what some people have paid for Rugers.

And yes I could pick the Ruger out if you layed out five exact models from five manufactures.There's one way to do it.

And I'll tell you how since it's obvious noone will take your challenge....Rollmarks,Ruger's are laser etched and not as deep as everyone else's.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Nice target Rev...and no powder burns around it...gotta assume it really was 50 feet! Just looking at the load on it...4.3 gr of 231? Did you use a lighter recoil spring to get it to function? My standard load for any of my .45's is 5.2 gr of 231 with a 200 gr TWC.

Here's my Ruger, and a target shot from 20 yds with a Weaver Stance: can't tell you if I could tell it apart from the others in the dark...a 1911's a 1911 after all, but it's as good as any .45 I've ever owned; and that'd be Colt predominantly, with the two Rugers and a Remington-Rand WWll beauty. The gun below has functioned 100% with factory stuff for over 2000 rounds now, and fumbled my hand loads only when I mis-set the seating die and left 'em too long.

So why's it so good? I'd say the features: SS construction, beveled mag well, extended safety & slide lock, humped grip safety that helps with my 'thumbs up, ride the safety shooting grip', great tgt grade bbl., and good sights...and all for the paltry sum of $650-$750 locally. Can't think of another with a similar setup that goes for that price. Best Regards Rod (PS: that 3rd pic is of a real hero...and darn near as accurate as the Ruger!)

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Rodfac said:
....it's as good as any .45 I've ever owned; and that'd be Colt predominantly, with the two Rugers and a Remington-Rand WWll beauty.....So why's it so good? I'd say the features: SS construction, beveled mag well, extended safety & slide lock, humped grip safety that helps with my 'thumbs up, ride the safety shooting grip', great tgt grade bbl., and good sights...and all for the paltry sum of $650-$750 locally. Can't think of another with a similar setup that goes for that price. Best Regards Rod

My experience parallels Rodfac's. I have 2 SR1911's and they compare favorably with several Colts, including a Gold Cup National Match, a couple of S&W 1911's, a Colt Commercial model from 1933, and a 1918 Colt in terms of accuracy and reliability. To Rodfac's list, I would add an excellent warranty and excellent customer service from an American company with a great reputation. I think the SR1911 is the best value for the money on the market. And prices seem to be falling. They are now going locally for as low as $619........that's a bargain price for a great gun.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ said:
Can't believe you still show pics of that Springer group with that hideous flyer.... :shock:

Did you sneeze? :mrgreen:

Nah ... The wife came up behind me and tickled me right when I was firing the last shot .... :D

REV