REVHIGH's 1911 Challenge

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
OK ... Here we go again with a fun little challenge ....

Since so many of you newly minted 1911 experts just KNOW FOR SURE that your Ruger SR1911 ... Probably your FIRST 1911, is so unique, so above average, and so top of the heap in its class, and you all complain that I shouldn't comment on it if I don't even own one, let's have a little challenge to see who's right.

I maintain that a 1911 is a 1911 pretty much .... within its price class.

Lots of folks here say the Ruger is the best in its class, it compares with guns hundreds of dollars more expensive ... It shoots smoother, it's more accurate, it feels better in your hands .... Blah blah blah ... Whatever ....

OK ... Let's assume that's the case .... I'll put up ... The rest of you naysayers can then either put up or shut up.

I'll take 4 1911's from the same price class, all stainless ... All full size ... With something used to conceal any obvious cosmetic differences, like the two tone grip safety. With ONE RUGER SR1911 in the group ... YOURS ! That's right .... Your very own personal SR1911 that you just know for a fact is the best 1911 that can be bought in its price class.

Now ... All you newly minted 1911 experts that can tell the difference between 1911's ... because the Ruger is so obviously superior ... Feels so much better in your hands, and shoots so much better, smoother, or more accurately ... We'll just see how well you know YOUR GUN. Yes ... I'll even let you use YOUR GUN, as long as there are no obvious differences beyond stock, like ambi safeties, extended slide releases, or differences between mainspring housings. We'll make it fair ... They'll be as close to similar as possible.

1. The blindfold test. Pick the SR1911 out of the 4 and I'll pay 4 to 1. Just holding it, weighing it in your hand, etc.

2. Function test ... again ... Blindfolded ... Go ahead ... Rack the slide ... Feel the trigger, work the controls, release and reinsert the mag. Now ... Pick the SR1911 out of the 4, and I'll pay 4 to 1.

3. Shooting test. I'll hand you the 1911, cocked and locked, your arm outstretched in shooting position, and you can shoot it 5 times. No cheating and no peeking. All you see is the back of the gun and the sights. Pick the SR1911 and you win 4-1.

Minimum bet ... $1 .... Maximum bet ... $10 per round. Must bet the same amount for all 3 rounds.

So ... All you guys saying I shouldn't even talk about an SR1911 because I don't own one ... Let's see just how much of an expert on 1911's you really are ... And how well you know your OWN GUNS, and if the SR1911 is so far and above other guns in its class, it should be an easy 3 for 3 picks, at 4 to 1 odds, right ? Or is it really just another 1911 in its price class as I've been saying all along.

Let's put this ... 'You don't own one, so you can't talk about them' concept to rest once and for all.

Now is the time for all you 1911 experts to quietly slink away, otherwise, get your money together. I'm pretty sure the biggest talkers will be the first slinkers ...

The SR1911 is a great gun ! But can you REALLY tell the difference, as many of you SAY YOU CAN ? :D

Who's gonna be first ? :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Two down ... Next .... ?

The biggest talkers always fall first ! :D

REV

Robert1955

Bearcat
Really? This is getting out of hand. My SR1911 is my first 1911 and I like it, I like it a lot but I know there are better quality and much more expensive 1911's being made out there, Ed Brown, Les Baer,Wilson Combat......... the list goes on. I would love to own one of them and I may one day but they are out of my current price range. The use of cast parts in and of itself does not bother me in the least. A Range Officer or a Gold Cup will most likely be my next 1911 as I move up. I don't understand the combativeness here when those of us that have had some issues try to discuss it here. The front sight issue is minor true but it was identified over a year ago and to still be occurring on new production is unacceptable, if it happens to mine again I will not send it back to Ruger but will find a quality aftermarket front post. I have never found another pistol where so many people have had the front sight just break-off just from shooting, heck the PLASTIC sights on my Glock are still there and I have fired 2 to 3 times as many rounds thru it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Agreed with all your points, but this is really just in response to those who say if you don't actually OWN a certain gun, that you don't have the right to comment in a thread about that gun. :D

The theory is if you don't actually OWN a Ruger SR1911, that you can't comment on it because you know nothing about it. My position is that a 1911 is a 1911, and that's pretty much all there is to say about it.

Wasn't supposed to invoke anger ... This is just an Internet forum ... If the subject ticks you off ... Don't read it, and certainly don't comment if it's gonna raise your blood pressure. Mine is 120/75 no matter what's posted in response ! :D

REV

6gun

Hunter
Don't have a 1911, and I know you didn't want to hear from me, but it's the same for all Rugers, all my Rugers are a revolvers, they are all best in their price range, none of them best in their class, I'd trade anyone of them any day of the week for a comparable S&W or Colt in there class.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
You are right the SR1911 is my first and probably my one and only 1911. I love to shoot it as it is a great gun to shoot. I do not carry it it because I am not a 1911 expert in anyway. The only other experience I have with a 1911 is the one I stood guard duty and worked for base security with back in the 80's with the Navy, it rattled like a can of rocks. it went bang when the trigger was pulled and hit the paper silhouette target at range when I qualified. I did have the opportunity to shoot a Kimber that belonged to a member of the gun club. Yes there was a big difference from the one from my Navy duty and the Kimber. I bought my SR1911 Nov of 2011. I have put about 1500 rounds down range. Could I tell one 1911 from another, if stock I seriously doubt it. am I going to take your bet? not a chance. Now if you want to talk about my MK II Gov target mod, we have a bet.
Have a Very Merry Christmas all.

revhigh

Hawkeye
lipofsky said:
Could I tell one 1911 from another, if stock I seriously doubt it.

Have a Very Merry Christmas all.

That was my whole point ... I know I couldn't either, and I've been shooting 1911's for 30+ years. A 1911 is pretty much a 1911 .... No matter the brand ... Except for cosmetics of course.

Merry Christmas to you as well !

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
6gun said:
Don't have a 1911, and I know you didn't want to hear from me, but it's the same for all Rugers, all my Rugers are a revolvers, they are all best in their price range, none of them best in their class, I'd trade anyone of them any day of the week for a comparable S&W or Colt in there class.

I don't disagree with your points, but I'd put Ruger revolvers higher in quality than I think you do. Granted ... The GP100 is no Python or Custom shop 686, but except for the action being heavier and more rough, they don't shoot too far off those guns. When I go to the range, if I'm shooting 357's, I'll always have a 6 inch Python and my 4 inch stainless GP. It would be tough to find a more rugged, reliable, or accurate 357 than the GP100.

And I absolutely love the Super Redhawks .... I have all 3 calibers, and they all shoot like laser beams.

REV

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Reading threads like these from Rev and I'm just glad he mostly leaves us alone over in the revolver forum.

I've got no dog in this fight over the SR1911 because I don't own any 1911s and don't have much interest in bottom feeders.

revhigh

Hawkeye
No complaints about any Ruger revolvers here .... I own a bunch of them. :D

Mostly all the big bores.

REV

If I were gonna buy another 1911, it would be an SR1911. Why? Because it's a hobby and a personal thing and I'm infected with Rugeritis and there's no explaining "gotta-have-itness". And I really don't care what anyone else buys 'cause why not, eh?

Interesting challenge. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to pick out an SR1911 unless "mine" happened to be exceptionally smooth and all the others were nasty old boat anchors with atrocious trigger pulls

As it happens, I'm not in the 1911 market, so the whole thing is moot to me. But I'm liking this thread.

:)

tek4260

Buckeye
Shall I go buy a SR1911 to take you up Rev?

I'll go buy one and you drive down here and bring the other 3. You made the challenge, I accept it. Will you live up to your end? Or is this another post to make you feel like an authority on something in life?

I just bought a Range Officer and a 625, so another 45 ACP will fit right on in for me.

And for the record, I don't claim to be an expert on the Range Officer or the 625, unlike ol Rev who doesn't even own a SR1911 but knows better than someone who does own one.

So when should I expect you? Or will you admit this is nothing more than a rant by a c...

Coogs

Maximum
Rev, my friend, I think ya may have too much time on your hands to think of stuff like this! :shock: :shock: :shock: I own several 1911's, a couple SR's, a few, a couple of them being as unissued, 1911A1's and a few issued 1911's. I would pretty much agree with you, to a point. I think an experienced 1911 shooter would be able to tell the difference between the 1911 and the A1, ie., the swell of the main spring housing in the palm, maybe. Now if you are just talking 1911A1's, then I tend to agree with you, unless you throw a few "factory" 1911's in there that have additional checkering on the trigger guards and/or slides. JMO...............I find it kinda interesting, and besides it's a relief to read a post on a gun forum that is dealing strictly with Guns and not some political motivated B.S. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Again, JMO, love ya, Coogs.

PS at least it's a rant about guns.

revhigh

Hawkeye
tek4260 said:
Shall I go buy a SR1911 to take you up Rev?

I'll go buy one and you drive down here and bring the other 3. You made the challenge, I accept it.

My challenge my turf name a date

revhigh

Hawkeye
Coogs said:
Rev, my friend, I think ya may have too much time on your hands to think of stuff like this! :shock: :shock: :shock: I own several 1911's, a couple SR's, a few, a couple of them being as unissued, 1911A1's and a few issued 1911's. I would pretty much agree with you, to a point. I think an experienced 1911 shooter would be able to tell the difference between the 1911 and the A1, ie., the swell of the main spring housing in the palm, maybe. Now if you are just talking 1911A1's, then I tend to agree with you, unless you throw a few "factory" 1911's in there that have additional checkering on the trigger guards and/or slides. JMO...............I find it kinda interesting, and besides it's a relief to read a post on a gun forum that is dealing strictly with Guns and not some political motivated B.S. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Again, JMO, love ya, Coogs.

PS at least it's a rant about guns.

Thanks Coogs ! Good to hear from you !

I guess you missed my mentioning the MSH in my OP ! LOL !

Already thought of that. :D

REV

hittman

Staff member
6gun said:

Yesterday I took to the range a new-to-me Ruger Standard Automatic from the mid-1960's and a Smith 43.

The old Standard was flawless.

Sure enough, I get home and have to tighten all the parts and screws those mighty 36 grain 22LRs shook loose on the Smith.
Yeah, it's a pretty gun .... that's about all.