Reuniting Buckeye brothers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Would there be any interest in linking up owners of the .32-20 and .38-40 Buckeye convertibles so owners can have matching pairs? In addition, you could add the .44-40 convertibles. I have several of each, and would buy/trade/sell to make matching pairs.

contender

Ruger Guru
To those of us who collect,, we do like having "matching sets" & such. But many shooters do not care one bit.
I'm in the "yes I like them to match" bunch.

GarrettJ

Bearcat
The .38-40 is an awesome round when loaded with current data.
What "current data" are you using? Any book load I've tried gives me .40 S&W velocities. You have to go a fair bit over what is published to get into "awesome" territory.

The 10mm cylinder makes much higher velocity easily, while staying within published guidelines.

Yes, a Ruger can easily handle "magnum" .38-40 loads. But then I realized I don't have to. I ended up settling on a load with Trailboss and a 180 gr. bullet at just under 1000 fps. If I want to go faster I'll pop in the other cylinder.

DickTater

Bearcat
I would like to give a home to a 38-40/10mm convertible, but I don't think I need a pair.
My dad left me a Model 92 38-40 carbine and I wanted a revolver to go with it, plus shooting 10mm would mean I can hold on to more of my 38-40 ammo.

DickTater

Bearcat
I don't get out much, what exactly is a matched pair or set?
To the best of my knowledge, Ruger came out with a special order series of 5000 convertibles (Buckeye Special). One year they ran 38-40 with an extra 10mm cylinder. The other year they ran .32-20 / 32 H&R Mag with swappable cylinders. In both cases, the barrel liked both kinds of ammo but the cylinders needed to be swapped out.
If you bought the year's prior model, Buckeye Sports (who contracted with Ruger for these runs of 5000) and Ruger would offer you a chance at the new convertible that would match your first unit's serial numbers.
So if you followed the proper procedures, you would end up with two gun frames with linked serial numbers and two cylinders for each frame.

what he said above, the serial numbers could be the "same" but the prefix numbers were different, #610 for the 32 cal and #611 for the 38/40-10 mm,,,,,the third version .44 mag 44-40 was a different prefix so would NOT Match as it was NOT through "Buckeye" ( Johns Sporting Goods) down in Canton ,OHio back in 1989-90.....but if you got one low enough the last 4 or was it 5 digits, just may be the same,,,never know there are guys out there looking I"m sure.........:cool::rolleyes:;)

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The S4440 was produced in the lowest quantities (about 1200) of the three. And I believe it was Jerry's Sports that picked it up. It was supposed to be the 3rd Buckeye model but Buckeye was out of business by the time the S4440 was made. Then Jerry's went out of business for good when United Sporting Company, which then owned Jerry's and Acusport and maybe a couple other names, went bankrupt.

Trifecta-S32X-S3840-S4440.jpg

Firsttimegrampa

Single-Sixer
Would there be any interest in linking up owners of the .32-20 and .38-40 Buckeye convertibles so owners can have matching pairs? In addition, you could add the .44-40 convertibles. I have several of each, and would buy/trade/sell to make matching pairs.
I am interested so please send me a DM of what you have and what your asking.