Reloading the 350 Legend

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Well, I loaded my first 100 350 Legend rounds today, using new WW brass, LilGun powder, and Speer 180 gr. flat nose bullets. I can credit Joe, at Real Guns for developing the load data and of course use it at your own risk, as he plainly advises in his article. I used the same Lee sizing die to reduce the Speer bullets down to .356", which took about 20 minutes to do all 100 of them. Unlike Joe, I was using brand new unfired brass which I primed and flared the case mouths using a Lee universal expanding die. Unlike Joe's die set mine seated the bullets perfectly and I finished with a factory crimp die. The rounds load in the magazine, chamber, and eject with out effort. Next time, I'll have to resize the fired brass, which should be a straight forward affair. I'll be shooting them in my Ranch rifle and I see that 10 rd mags are now available. Bob!! :D

rangerbob

Buckeye
Gramps, I used the Lee 3 die set along with the FCD and my MEC single stage press. Eventually, I'll get my 550 Dillon set up. I did not use the sizing die as the brass was new. I did use a Lee universal expander die to put a slight flare on the case mouths, added the appropriate amount of LilGun, and seated the resized Speer bullets to the top of the cannelure, and then ran them all through the Lee factory crimp die to remove the case mouth flare and put a moderate crimp on the bullet/case mouth. They feed and extract effortlessly. I did not try my 357 Maximum dies. I'm fairly certain one could resize a fired case up to a point, as the 350 case is bigger that a 223 case just forward of the extractor groove, same with seating a bullet. The FCD is the way to go on finishing a round. The Lee dies are not expensive and do a fine job. One would need to examine the case drawings side by side to check the measurements. Bob! FYI, Black Hills Shooters Supply has the factory correct diameter bullets and WW and Starline brass available as I type this. :wink:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Speer 180 flat point rifle bullets, resized to .356" using the Lee bullet sizing die. Please read Joe's article at Real Guns for the details. Bob!