Reloading 454 Casull questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
Just picked up a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull yesterday. Want to reload for it as I reload for all my other calibers. What is a good all around powder, primer, and bullet for light to heavy load? I don't have any slow burning powder and hard to find here, but do have Unique and see some loads with it for lighter ones. Primers, I see loads with magnum and standard small rifle primers. Hate to try to find both, just use what I can find? Bullets, cast?, jacketed?, weight? Mostly will be shooting reload 45 colt, but will load and shoot some 454's also. What are some of your preferences? thanks triker

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I can't said I ever had an issue with any of the ball powders and they will give the maximum performance in most cartridges but I allways end up going back to my old standbys of 4227 and 2400.
Maybe once they finally work the bugs out of this new fangled smokeless (white) powder stuff I can get my mind off of the old ways.

Bucks Owin said:
Without a doubt, W-296/H-110 if you want full speed ahead...

Before someone mentions Lil Gun, I'm no fan...

Just my two centavos.. :wink:

You rang? :mrgreen:

I use Lil'gun almost exclusively for all my magnums. And I love it! That said, it can have some drawbacks, as it does burn hotter than H110.

But if you are going to shoot Casull rounds, get a slow burning mag pistol powder. Your brass will last longer. Every time I have tried using W231 or unique speed powder, the Starline cases split on the side.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I had high hopes for Lil Gun when I eagerly bought my first pound. But sessions behind the chrono with .357 & .44 mags didn't live up to the velocity hype. Also I didn't get great SD/ES and max loads seemed a little eratic. Then came the internet stories of erosion, topstrap cutting etc...

To each his own, so make mine W-296.... :wink:

I admit YMMV...

RatBird

Bearcat
I reload both 45 colt and 454. Mostly use the Colt reloads for plinking. I use the reloading manual data that says for use in Blackhawks. If you go with the top loads with 45 brass it's kinda hard on the brass. I use 296 in the 454s. Watch the velocity recommendations on the jacketed bullets you use for the 454. Some won't handle Casull velocities.

6gun

Hunter
Bucks Owin said:
Without a doubt, W-296/H-110 if you want full speed ahead...

Before someone mentions Lil Gun, I'm no fan...

Just my two centavos.. :wink:

I agree W-296/H-110 the best powder for that load.

triker

Single-Sixer
So has anyone used H110 with, hornady 240 XTP Mag bullets and wsr primers? Powder can says 36 gr, seems like a lot. Saw loads on handloads.com from FA that said to start at 32.4. Where you all loading with this combo? thanks triker

triker

Single-Sixer
I emailed Hornady and their response was 34.1 gr to start with comb mentioned in above post. Sound reasonable to you 454 shooters? triker

454PB

Bearcat
I mostly agree with the above......

I began loading for .454 around 23 years ago, started out with H-110/WW296/AA#9 in a Freedom Arms 83. I've since acquired a Taurus Raging Bull, then when Ruger released the SRH in .454, bought one of those. I needed a matching rifle, so I bought a Puma 92.

Nearly all my shooting is with home cast 300+ grain gas checked bullets. Early on, I experimented with 250 Gr. XTP jacketed, and found that I got a lot of hang fires and even squibs with huge amounts of slow burning ball powders and light bullets.

I prefer BlueDot for reduced velocity loads, and the much maligned Lil'Gun for full power wrist wrenching loads, but I've experimented with many different powders.

I encourage anyone that loads at maximum pressures (and recoil) to check your expander plug......you need maximum case tension for proper ignition and to minimize bullet creep in recoil. I want a minimum of .004" case I.D. for good grip on .452" bullets. A heavy crimp alone will not be enough.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Consider any powder charge listed on a powder container as a
MAXIMUM DO NOT EXCEED load. Not the place to start. If you can work up to that level without sticky extraction in your particular gun you can assume it is safe but in your gun only. Be careful!
That said, I seldome load to the max. In my guns. There is just no need to IMHO.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I use IMR4227 or Hogdon 4227 in my heavy 45 Colt loads and also used it in bullet weights from 185gr to 335gr in the 454 Casull. 250gr Hornady flex in the 454 over 4227 out of a Rossi Carbine is quite impressive out at 250yds