Reloader work area

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Cary":2nzjzvag said:
I have never lived in an area that had high humidity. Have any of you that do live in areas of high humidity experienced any changes in the characteristics of your gun powder due to changes in moisture content of the powder?
Cary
We have very high humidity here all the time. I never leave powder open or out any longer than I have to. At most I might have a block of cartridges or a cup of powder out for about an hour or so and have never found any difference in the shooting. :D

...JImbo

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Heck, at the moment I have my old Pacific JR C-press mounted to a picnic table in the backyard. (Not so great in rainy weather!) Where there's a will.....Dennis My old setup:
1f223a52.jpg
562c81fe.jpg

bub

Single-Sixer
NCMountains":21iutvy6 said:
How bout using a moisture desicant to put in with the press under a dust cover?????

NCMountains, I doubt a dessicant would work very well. The problem is that (during the summer, anyway) you have constant moisture for prolonged periods of time, which would soon overload the dessicant. Also, if you load in the winter using a heater and if it gets cold where you are, you can get flash rusting from touching the cold metal with your bare (and warm and moist) hands or from the warm, moist air coming off of the heater (I use a propane space heater, which puts off some moisture when burned; electric heaters shouldn't put off any excess moisture). I've found it's better to use something like BreakFree, brush it on the exposed metal with something like a plumbers acid brush to prevent rust, then wipe it back off when you want to reload. Works real well for me here in OH, where it can get quite humid in the summer and stay there for a while. Something like Eezox, which I understand dries on the surface and leaves a rust-preventative layer, might just work even better, but I have BreakFree, so I use BreakFree.

Bub

Cary

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag":1kxx7bhd said:
Cary":1kxx7bhd said:
I have never lived in an area that had high humidity. Have any of you that do live in areas of high humidity experienced any changes in the characteristics of your gun powder due to changes in moisture content of the powder?
Cary
We have very high humidity here all the time. I never leave powder open or out any longer than I have to. At most I might have a block of cartridges or a cup of powder out for about an hour or so and have never found any difference in the shooting. :D

...JImbo
Thanks for the reply Jimbo. It's just something I was curious about.

Cary

contender

Ruger Guru
NC Mountains,, I haven't forgotten my promise of help,,,!
I only have 2 more weeks of deer season in Rutherford Co,, so it'll be soon!
My BIL recently bought a bunch of reloading stuff at an auction. Locally. ALL of it was stored in a "shed away from the house." It is ALL rusty. Dies, presses, shell holders,, etc. In fact,, the NIB scale had specks & flakes on it as well. Unfortunately,, around here we experience a lot of humidity changes. Silicagel packets are not enough to prevent things. I use a dehumidifer rod in my safes,, and I keep a couple of large silica bags in the bottom of my safe as well. I got 6 bags from a milsurp supply and recharge them about every 4-6 months. That & I keep most of my guns in a silocone gun cloth/sock.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I just spray down my press with WD-40 occasionally. Hasn't got any rust yet and it's outside in the weather...(covered with a plastic bag) Not ideal, but still functional until I relocate....Dennis

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
SBH4628":2clf6a0d said:
Good idea Tenbore :D What do you have under them?

In the back is my MEC 600 Jr. for 12 gauge. Far right is a RCBS rotory powder measure. The RCBS press is usually covered when not in use, but I had been using it that day.

mdnoel

Bearcat
Almost mine all mine. I bought a 10x20 wooden storage shed. Parked it beside the garage and negotiated with the wife. She gets the back half for houshold storage and my motorcycle and I get the front half for my reloading and casting shop. Doesn't sound like much but actually 10ftx10ft is big enough and easy to heat and cool.
HPIM1660.jpg

Casting Table with exhaust hood.

HPIM1663.jpg

Cabinet for press parts and dummy rounds of loads I worked up and below are the bins I like to keep full of loaded rounds of ammo.

HPIM1662.jpg

Loading Bench, To the left is the gun cleaning area, center is the press, I use a Rock Chucker with a PiggyBack. That thing has loaded many many thousands of rounds and to the right is a Lyman Luber Sizer. Just out of sight is the TV and a Wardrobe for my hunting cloths. Coffee pot is still in the house I can't find room for it.

Everything a man could want.