Reloader work area

Help Support Ruger Forum:

likemysr9

Bearcat
I read somwhere that flourescent lighting can affect the acuracy of a balance beam scale if they are too close. It said something about no closer than 3 feet.
I am about to build a reloding room, and was intending on putting under cabinet lights on the cabinets.
Can someone elaborate on this?

Thanks
Jim

Cary

Single-Sixer
likemysr9":18x9i5qn said:
I read somwhere that flourescent lighting can affect the acuracy of a balance beam scale if they are too close. It said something about no closer than 3 feet.
I am about to build a reloding room, and was intending on putting under cabinet lights on the cabinets.
Can someone elaborate on this?

Thanks
Jim
Jim,
That is one I haven't read. I just don't see how that could happen as a balance beam scale is mechanical and relies on gravity for it to function.
Cary

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
likemysr9":2roojw3j said:
I read somwhere that flourescent lighting can affect the acuracy of a balance beam scale if they are too close.

Hi,

Not sure, but I'd guess you're probably thinking of digital scales, which CAN exhibit odd behaviors depending on their local environment.

I use an RCBS 5-0-5 balance beam directly under a fluorescent lamp--have for a long time, too--and it still checks out fine w/ my check weights. Either way: light on or off.

Rick C

c.r.

Single-Sixer
here's my reloading area. the two denim sacks cover my press and powder measurer. I have rearranged my "corner" a bit an added a larger shelf, but the desk is all there is to my reloading bench.
DSCN0079-2.jpg

likemysr9

Bearcat
Rick Courtright":1eax9vrw said:
likemysr9":1eax9vrw said:
I read somwhere that flourescent lighting can affect the acuracy of a balance beam scale if they are too close.

Hi,

Not sure, but I'd guess you're probably thinking of digital scales, which CAN exhibit odd behaviors depending on their local environment.

I use an RCBS 5-0-5 balance beam directly under a fluorescent lamp--have for a long time, too--and it still checks out fine w/ my check weights. Either way: light on or off.

Rick C

From the Speer Reloading Manual #14 page 67.
"Do not use any mechanical scale within three (3) feet of a fluorescent light. Under certain conditions, the electro-magnetic field generated by these lights can interfere with the scales magnetic dampening devices, causing spurious readings."

I am not doubting any of you guy's, but I knew I saw it somewhere.