Busy work

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just scored a bulk buy on 'break down' .223 ammo. Gotta pull the bullets and dump the powder but it's still cheaper than prepped & primed cases alone plus the bullets are worth something. I've got 8# of WC844 just waiting for a purpose. Winter's coming on so I need something to occupy my time.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I never heard of "break down" ammo. Is that something that is normally available...? Why is it 'break down' rated?

THANKS,

J.

^Why is it 'break down' rated?
From past experience, this could be a missing or inverted primer, a damaged bullet tip, a bullet base snagged the case mouth, a dented case, long or short OAL, or in some cases a malfunction of the automatic loading machine caused an entire run to be suspect due to low/high powder charge. I used to buy a lot of reloading stuff from a place near St Louis that came from such sources.
It's a gamble BUT I already figured in the value of what I could see in the pics and bid accordingly. I have no intention of re-using the powder--this is a no brainer, but after a run through a sizer with the decap pin removed, the prepped cases should be worth more than I paid and whatever bullets(check weighed of course) are the frosting.

The breakdown ammo arrived while I was incapacitated but I was able to open the first box and take a look at what I got. About what I expected: some upside down primers, long/short OAL, a few dented cases, and the remainder are probably charge related rejects.
Since my 'outside time' is going to be restricted severely, this will work out fine. Enough activity to keep me lossened up and handling the cases will get sensation and strength back in my hands.

Latest posts