Regular vs. Magnum Primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I realize this has been asked before. I just wanted to get an updated answer.

Background - NY is now requiring a NICS check to buy ammo. So far it has been a disaster. The scuttlebutt is that primers and powder might be next.

I DON"T buy ammo. My rimfire supply will last me forever. I have adequate powder. My only future issues are primers.

I have a supply to last me at least 3 more years. But, at age 74 I'm now close to being able to get a lifetime supply. (it might take a couple SS checks, but who cares.....LOL.)

I have a source to get SPP at a "reasonable" price, but they only have Magnum LPP. Obviously, with hazmat charges I would like to buy ALL my needs at once.

I Load 41 mag, 41 spl, 45 acp and 45 Colt. Those are my only LPP needs. None are loaded hot, just target loads. I have enough regular LPP for 45 Colt Hunting loads, so I can keep my Ruger only loads separate.

My question is: For my target loads can I substitute Magnum LPP without any issues, or should I have to go thru a test program to see if there is a problem?

contender

Ruger Guru
Generally, target loads are light loads,, so a magnum primer will add a little bit of hotter ignition, and will likely raise the velocity a bit. How much, depends upon the powder used, the crimp pressure, & other small factors. But would it be dangerous in a light target load,,,,??? Not normally.

cavediver27

Bearcat
I use both interchangeably and in 40 years of reloading I have never seen any signs of over pressure or any change in velocity. I've never had a cratered primer, a pierced primer or a blown primer. Zero issues!
Of course, this is what I do and I advise that you follow published load date from reliable sources. In other words, don't do what I do.

dannyd

Hunter
I use small rifle, magnum and small pistol primers in my 357 magnum and 38 special loads, but all of my loads are target loads, so they are light and I have never had any problems.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Generally, target loads are light loads,, so a magnum primer will add a little bit of hotter ignition, and will likely raise the velocity a bit. How much, depends upon the powder used, the crimp pressure, & other small factors. But would it be dangerous in a light target load,,,,??? Not normally.

I use both interchangeably and in 40 years of reloading I have never seen any signs of over pressure or any change in velocity. I've never had a cratered primer, a pierced primer or a blown primer. Zero issues!
Of course, this is what I do and I advise that you follow published load date from reliable sources. In other words, don't do what I do.

I use small rifle, magnum and small pistol primers in my 357 magnum and 38 special loads, but all of my loads are target loads, so they are light and I have never had any problems.
All these guys are correct.

s4s4u

Hunter
Winchester LPP are for both magnum and standard loads. They are the only LPP I have used. I have used magnum and standard SPP interchangeably with no affect on function or performance. But I don't chase the ragged edge of velocity so have some headroom to work with.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
Delete this if it's in the wrong place. When I started loading .223 my manual (Lyman 47) lists small rifle magnum primers for use with H335. Is this written in stone someplace. Anybody use regular primers? Just about out of srm.

Buck7144

Bearcat
More open space and a mag primer can cause too much pressure, that is why I like my rifle recipes and any pistol that can, to have as close to a compressed load. My handgun and shotgun loads I try to do the same but .45 ACP can't really be done that way.

During the last ammo shortage, I do have to admit I was starting to run low on small pistol primers. (I know, I know, I should have been more prepared — and am now.)

But I used small pistol mag primers in some 38's and never saw any noticeable difference. I do normally use mag primers in 357. And small rifle primers in 327. Which apparently some people do and some don't.

s4s4u

Hunter
Delete this if it's in the wrong place. When I started loading .223 my manual (Lyman 47) lists small rifle magnum primers for use with H335. Is this written in stone someplace. Anybody use regular primers? Just about out of srm.
I use standard SR primers with H335, as well as Varget or H4895. I get excellent accuracy with the 55 grain Hornady SP w/cannelure.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the replies. By the time I made up my mind they were all sold out anyway.

Gotta love the times we are in. In my 50+ years of reloading I have seen many shortages. This one, however, is lasting longer than others in memory.

I still have a 2+ year supply. Just trying to be prepared.

Rclark

Hunter
I've done quite a few back to back tests with CCI regular and magnum primers with powders that I use just do answer the question to my satisfaction. As said about, usually a little higher FPS with the magnum... But otherwise, no change. None of my loads are on the bleeding edge either. The only exceptions I found was 2400 likes regular, 4227 likes Magnum. HS-6 likes Magnum. Never tested H-110/Win296, but I read a magnum primer should be used there.

rotor

Single-Sixer
Which book is THE book? The books don't agree.
The reloading manual I use at the time. Also the powder manufacturers website load data. As already mentioned though for large pistol primers Winchester is okay for regular and magnum loads, or at least they say they are. Just because some people on a gun forum say it is okay doesn't mean it is. Easier to go by the book and use verified load data. I am a very conservative reloader.

If you look at shotgun loads changing even the brand of primer can lead to disaster. It is tough not being able to get supplies but you need to plan ahead in this business. This is a cyclic event and we have all seen this before.

upter43

Bearcat
I don't suppose one can go wrong with utilizing the latest published data per manufacturer, as they would be ultra conservative. However, I have seen load data vary as much as 10%+ between manuals. As with shotshells, cartridge case construction have changed over time (not going to use the word "evolved", as I'm not sure that's the case). Never had an issue with interchanging magnum and standard primers with standard and light loads. For max hunting loads, I recommend sticking to the latest load data and paying close attention to the fired primers to make sure you don't have any excessive pressure issues.

contender

Ruger Guru
Both GasGuzzler & rotor have good points.

There are several different reloading manuals, and sometimes they have different information for identical caliber ammo. Often it's because the publisher is using the components THEY sell, not all available components.
To use only one book, you should only use the components listed in that book to get the similar results. The company that publishes that book has tested those components together, and those are their results.
But if you study things,, often, their results are taken from a "Universal receiver" or a different firearm than what you are shooting.
Being cautious, or conservative, it's always been advised to "start low & build up a load" for safety & the firearm variables.

The OP is asking a question concerning the potential dangers or differences in the use of magnum primers vs. standard primers. It has been well answered already.

Following the book(s) is always recommended,, and it's always a good idea to own several reloading manuals, to be able to cross reference information, THEN,, start building a load from a lower listed powder level & work up.

With all the variations of bullets, powder, primers & even cases there really isn't a book anywhere listing all the possible combinations. Just think of all the different bullet manufacturers & the bullet shapes out there. How deep a bullet is seated is a variable, and it can have an effect on the ammo as well.

This is where we have to be cautious, and build a SAFE load for our own firearm, and our own purposes.
The OP's question was valid, and is but one part of the overall fun of reloading.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Which book is THE book? The books don't agree.
I started reloading in 1971, and have a pile of books dating back to then. Some of my current manuals are different from those of the same publisher from way back then.

I always check a few manuals and try to come up with an "average". Then, I experiment up and down loads to see what works best. (i guess I have too much time on my hands. Shooting is more than a casual hobby)

In any event, in a few cases my considered "optimum" loads are a lot lower than the manual. It just works for me. I don't care about making a big bang, just hitting the bullseye. I'm not afraid of recoil. Hunting loads are a different story.

Anyhoot, thanks for the comments. In my old age I'm trying to minimize my experiments made over the course of a lifetime. I guess I have more work to do.

oldcrab

Bearcat
Of course it would be advisable to follow loading manual recommendations when using small-pistol vs small-pistol-magnum vs small-rifle primers. Any "Gomer" understands that!

But wait… you very rarely can purchase what the book recommends!!!!
Dang.
So, if you reload and want to shoot, you're forced to substitute the primer-type of the same size and do load-development from the beginning load, work up to a midrange load with no failures or pressure issues, and keep on shooting…

Latest posts