Redhawk with Holster Rust - $279.00

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have been traveling for work but I got home and my I got a message grom my brother about a Redhawk he found that is a 44 Mag 5.5-inch Blued gun but it has a nasty case of finish cancer as aparently it was stored in a leather holster in a basement and one side of the gun is pitted really bad.

Now, I have seen 44 Mag redhawk cylinders for sale and the Redhawk frame and barrel are big enough that it would not hurt to remove some metal and refinish the gun as a project. If I am woried about the cylinder, I could just buy a replacement.

My brother said the bore of the barrel and the chambers of the cylinder looked fine. Heck, for under $300 it might make a good tackle box or hiking gun as opposed to carying my rather valuable (in comparison) 5.5-inch 45 Colt Redhawk.

Unfortionatly, I was not able to go look at the gun yet but I am curious if anybody has any feedback on buying the neglected guns that sometimes show up.

reakin

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't fret about the holster rash. Clean it up the best you can, hit it with some cold blue, and enjoy a great deal on a shooter grade gun that you don't have to worry about.

reakin

Kanook

Buckeye
Sounds like you just bought the perfect "I don't care" firearm.

If your worried about using 44mags in it, you could always use 44 special.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
I would jump on that gun for that price. Refinishing shouldn't be a deal breaker. Hell you could get it metalifed for $150 and still be less than a new stainless RH.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Thanks for the nudge, I called and they put my name on it and I will pick it up on Friday. I talked with one of the guys at the shop and they verified that the bore is fine and the rust is really only on one side of the revolver/cylinder. The bore and chambers are reported to be fine. For $279 and a 44 Mag Redhawk, I can afford to take a chance :wink:

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
Inexpensive fun is good fun. Consider a parkerization job. But most importantly, before and after pics please. :)

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
psyclone66":18lcpp1w said:
Consider a parkerization job. But most importantly, before and after pics please. :)
I was going to say the same thing. I get my parkerizing done by Falcon Gun Finishing, but then again, he's only 20 minutes away. Jeff does an outstanding job. I certainly wouldn't spend a whole lot refinishing, but I'd certainly spend $100.00 to get it looking good. A park job would be sweet!

I think a park'd Redhawk would look just about as mean as a hungry griz. 8)

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I like the parkerization suggestion and I have the tank and I should have the chemicals from my FNFal and AK building days. I even have a huge compressor and sand blast cabinet to get an even finish and to remove the bluing. Have to see the gun first but might make for a fun summer project as that stuff needs to be done outside.

A little time with some sandpaper, small blocks and sore fingers and it can turn from this
RugerOMs012.jpg

to this
Spence-6Guns009.jpg

It makes for a fun project that a guy can't get hurt on due to the low buy costs.

mraywi

Single-Sixer
Mr.Barnes,
You are either showing off or bragging!!! Man,that is a beautiful reclamation you have there. Nice job!! Good looking wood to complete the picture!!

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Bead blast it with fine glass; send it Robar for NP3 and any additional tuning; have returned a true (but inexpensive) custom Redhawk that will NEVER rust again........

Okay you smart elecks! I pump poop for a living so showing off isn't an issue :oops: When I got that gun I asked here for some pointers on cleaning it up and Rugerguy was a tremendous help. He got me going on sandpaper grits, directions of sanding and the need for sanding "blocks" or devices to follow contours and to keep things flat without wallowing out holes. There was probably 12-15 hours in hand work before I sent it off to John Gallagher to get reblued and the gripframe installed. I did send down the Clements OM bisley hammer.The original hammer on that gun did actually turn out to be usable after lots of flat sanding.

Ironically I nicknamed this gun the Resurrection gun and it now wears a steel OM gripframe and a nice set of Amboyna burl grips. I no longer have it but it is being donated to a fundraising auction for Pastor Jim Taylor's move to Africa where he and his wife are gong to be full time missionaries later this year.

Stoots

Buckeye
We was just funnin' ya Robb!

It's amazing what can be restored. The hand sanding makes all the difference in the final blue!

Good job!

:wink: