Redhawk with Holster Rust - $279.00

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I know you were Stoots. I flick enough off "it" I can sure catch it once in awhile as well Chief :lol: You know, this OM 41 project was so much fun I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another basket case just to do it again. It is a kick in the pants do a cleanup job like this and the good thing is that for the price, you can't mess it up any worse than it was to begin with.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Very nice, Mr. Barnes! I needed a little kick. I've got an old High Standard Sentinel in similar condition to what you started with. It will never be worth much, but the sentimental value is probably up around $5000 or so :wink:

I traded, swapped and argued with a now deceased extended family member over about a three month period. It was a package deal with a pristine 4" Sentinel that was consumated over probably 1/2 the cost of the whole deal in 'libations'.... had to beat him up a little. :wink: I sure miss old John. :( He probably could have sold it at any time during the preceedings for $50 more than our transaction finally closed at :p This 1s got my son's name on it, and he knows both the history and the reason he's going to get it. He's already got a nice old Romanian .22s I acquired the same way. 8)

IIRC, I think I ended up giving him $5 more than he originally wanted :!: :lol:

Florida-boy

Bearcat
Sebtool, the story is always better than the gun anyway.

I went through the same thing to get my father in law's .270 from a brother in law for my son. It was nutin fancy and it cost me $500 but it was worth it.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Quarterbore":1aawtrls said:
I have been traveling for work but I got home and my I got a message grom my brother about a Redhawk he found that is a 44 Mag 5.5-inch Blued gun but it has a nasty case of finish cancer as aparently it was stored in a leather holster in a basement and one side of the gun is pitted really bad.
I had the same thing happen to my Dan Wesson (if you know the mid-70's DW revolvers, you know the finish was second only the perfection of the old Colt Python/Diamonbacks) I drove from Arizona to Florida (and got caught in some nasty storms) and since the gun was in a gun rug in my trailer, I never got to see it for about a week. Condensation ate about 20% of the finish down to bare steel and a few pits, too.

I was sick.

Rather than send it back to Wesson Arms (and let them see how badly I let their gun get), I had it tefloned. In 1978 that only cost $50, but it slicked up the action as much or more than the first 5,000 rounds had. The trigger pull is like grease on glass.

Dull black is not pretty, but liquids (even gun oil) bead up on the surface and "pretty is as pretty does".

About a year ago (I think it was on Rugerforum.net, but it might have been here) a guy posted pictures of a Ruger Security/Service/Speed Six that looked like it had been buried on a saltwater beach for a month. He got it dirt cheap and rebuilt it like new and posted pictures. It was an amazing transformation.

I will try to find a link to the thread, but if someone else remembers it, please post it. It will be a good inspiration for Quarterbore and keep him from being discouraged.

Good on ya, Quarterbore.

Lost Sheep

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I don't have photos yet but what was described as pitting didn't look like it was more then what might have been surface rust when cleaned up removed the bluing. As near as I could tell there is no metal issues and all this gun needs is a blue job.

Great gun and if I clean it up and use some cold blue on the freckles I think it will just fine for a wood gun.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Quarterbore":2o9h86ew said:
I don't have photos yet but what was descibed as pitting didn't look like it was more then what might have been surface rust when cleaned up repoved the bluing. As near as I could tell there is no metal issues and all this gun needs is a blue job.

Great gun and if I clean it up and use some cold blue on the freckles I think it will just fine for a wood gun.
Rust freckles. That's a good one. I guess surfact rust could be called that, and pits would be "rust zits", I guess.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
OK, perhaps my opinions of this last night were that it was a little better then reality but it is still in way better shape then I thought based on the descriptions I had got from my brother and the shop...

rh445-project-001.jpg

rh445-project-002.jpg

rh445-project-003.jpg

rh445-project-004.jpg

rh445-project-005.jpg

rh445-project-006.jpg

tek4260

Buckeye
Looks like it has been in a fire on that one side. If it was like that on both sides, that would be my guess. It had to be laying in something caustic or splashed with something like that. Whatever it was even took the finish off the grip. And, its a steal at $279 :)

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I think it was sitting on foam that had adsorbed moisture. The texture just looks like the foam inside cases to me and my guess if that it was in a humid area that caused this. The photos make it look much worse then it is in person.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
A couple of hours, and a few dollars, and you will have a beautilful pistol, that you will make money on, after enjoying. Personally, it would be a keeper.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Myself?

I own guns that look worse.........

PS there is nothing about the appearance on the outside of a gun that makes any difference to its ability to perform its main function, ay?

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
WESHOOT2":1t3sv34m said:
Myself?

I own guns that look worse.........

PS there is nothing about the appearance on the outside of a gun that makes any difference to its ability to perform its main function, ay?

Nope, this will function fine. Ammo loads fine and the bore and chambers look great.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
We had a shotgun brought into the shop a while ago to refinish and it had very similiar blue wear rusting whatever you want to call it. The owner said his kid had spilled orange juice on it and they didn't get all wipped off. Steve

Stoots

Buckeye
QB- Great deal!

I gotta admit, when I first read this thread I was really expecting worse than that!

That makes one fine truck gun!

:wink:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I am trying to decide if I should get this reblued. I confirmed that to get this polished and reblued at Ruger it will cost be $130. So, if I do this I will have $410 in the revolver (not including tax, fees, and then shipping to Ruger).

I have shot the Revolver and it shoots really nice! The trigger is good, and it is certainly a handy size to carry even though I normally pack my 5.5-inch 45 Colt instead.

I am just struggling to decide if I am better off accepting it's freckles and enjoy it as a truck gun which I got cheap, can't hurt, and if I do something stupid and scratch it I can't feal bad.... OR .... should I make this gun a beauty buy taking it to the dermatologist?

Of course, perhaps teh CORRECT answer is I should just buy the buffing weals for my bench grinder and clean this baby up myself and buy the chemicals to blue a gun and see how good of a job I can do. God knows I would like to learn and time is not too much of an issue and the chemicals would likely not be very expensive...

Either way, I haev a month before I can do either as I have a gun I am paying off but I pought a holster for this 44 off teh forums the other day and it just got me thinking I should fix this girl up.

What would you do?

Latest posts