Redhawk sight observation/problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jdmb03

Bearcat
I was looking over my new 4" Redhawk and noticed that the front sight looked crooked, it sat more to the left. After I removed the sight it looks as though the left top rib of the barrel angles in giving the illusion that the sight sits farther to the left. The right top rib doesn't angle in. Was there an error when cutting the rib? How do your Redhawks look? See the pics below.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/p9050953.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/p9050952.jpg/

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
As unscientific as it seems, when I measured pic #2, it looks as if the sight slot was milled off center.
Try measuring the outer edge of the sight slot over to the side of the flat and see if both sides are the same distance to that edge.
It looks like the right side of the slot is further from the edge than the left, which would cause your front sight to be off center, towards the left.
That will have an effect on your rear sight adjustments.
The sight slot is centered with the grooved ribs on your barrel, so it's possible that the right side of the barrel flat is a tad wider than need be, having no effect on your sights. Does the front sight seem to be positioned properly when you sight through the rear sights? (Be sure that your rear sight is adjusted to the center before looking trough it)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Might be? Now I'm cross-eyed from looking at those pics. Not your fault. Put a straight edge on it to check. :shock: :shock:

...Jimbo

jdmb03

Bearcat
I added some better pics. The slot is centered and lines up with the rear sight. So do you think it's worth calling Ruger and asking for a new barrel?

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
Does it zero to 50 yards with the rear sight more or less in the middle of its adjustment range? If so, don't sweat it.

jdmb03

Bearcat
The sight adjustment seems fine. I'm just not happy about spending $700 on a gun with an incorrectly milled barrel.

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
Much better pics! Everything measures out evenly except for the front left side of the rib, your sights will work properly, it's just cosmetic in nature. I wouldn't worry about it, no one will notice the slight discrepancy unless they look straight down onto the front sight. If you wanted to, you could get a replacement sight and remove a 1/6" off of the left side of its base and see if that balances out the appearance.

jdmb03

Bearcat
I contacted Ruger this morning and they said it shouldn't be like that and they will take of it. I'm assuming they will have to replace the barrel. Thanks Ruger.

BigJ71

Single-Sixer
Yep, it's off and that would bug me too but I'm OCD that way LOL!

Your assumption is correct, Ruger will most certainly replace the barrel. I have a Super Blackhawk (stainless steel) that the front sight assembly blew off under recoil. It was sent to ruger where I thought they would simply install another front sight....nope, the gun came back with a brand new barrel!

Ruger will make it right...

MikeMcD

Bearcat
Don't forget to ask for a shipping pickup. They SO GOOD that they get the item in two days and usually get them back in the UPS in three to four days and back to you in two more. They do very well with "status calls" from the consumer, rather than the insults and derision from foreign makers (think of the spanish word for Bull).