Redhawk Back to the factory.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pjpockets

Bearcat
My brand new .44 redhawk went back for a new cylinder because the chamber throats were chamferd at the front of the cylinder about a sixty fourth down the throats. and uneven to boot. Anyone ever see this before? I have been shooting revolvers all my life and have never seen that except one time from S&W on a new J frame. All it does is extend the forcing gap, causes premature cone erosion, and leading. Whoever is supervising assembly needs to get on that crap pronto.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
That's the first time I've ever heard of that happening. I'm sure Ruger will fix it and it'll come back in great shape.

pjpockets

Bearcat
It was during my pre shoot cleaning and inspection. I had the time to look more closely at the gun. I noticed a bur on an edge of a cylinder throat at the front of the cylinder and realized all six had champhers. It looks like they were done with a hand broach, as they are not smooth, and they are uneven. It would seem it was a step taken to get the gun out the door quickly without parts refit. On the Smith I had, the gun was sent back and forth four times with a different problem every time before they gave me a refund I hope Ruger is a different situation.

Thanks for the info. Wow I still don't think I'd of noticed til I'd of shot it and had poor accuracy. Way to go. Makes a pretty good case for a pre-shoot cleaning on a new revolver.
gramps

BGoff_SC

Bearcat
I've been around firearms for a few decades now but find there is always something more to be learned.

I did the pre-range inspection and cleaning on a new Alaskan last month. I had some dis-assemble problems. I took her to the range and put 50 rounds of .44 Mag through her. I brought her home took her apart, cleaned her up and took a closer look.

There are of course some visible problems that can be identified with that first look but putting a few rounds through her is the true test. Unless you hit a really bad concern in the initial inspection, then it's telephone time.

Using Iowegin's Gun Guide is a good place to start if you want to get some tips on inspection and routine maintenance. A good example is arc like marks which indicate hammer drag on the frame. Using the guide, I sat down and wrote a detailed letter identifying specific concerns and issues.

I called Ruger and discussed the matter with them and they obtained a UPS Shipping and PickUp number for me, of course you have to ask for it. The weapon was delivered to them on the 4h of May. I called them last week to discuss the matter. They called me today to let me know where they are at in the Tech Department. It should be ready next week.

Thanks to Iowegan's knowledge and some great assistance from GP-100man (I bought a Ruger Popper from him) with some time on the telephone, hopefully next week I should have the weapon back, ready to roll.

It's not like in the old days, when you bought a weapon and were stuck with just dragginbg it down to a local Gunsmith (Hard to find these days of course) and then spending a lot of time on the telephone or exchanging letters with a manufacturer. These on line forums and manufacture's web site are a great source of information and experience.