RedHawk 44 magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cody1999

Bearcat
I'm new to this forum, but I recently recieved a ruger Red Hawk 44 magnum with the snub nose 2.5"barrel. Every time I try to look up anything about it it comes up as a super red hawk, but there are no markings on it that indicate it is a super red hawk. It has 44 magnum written on the barrel, and Ruger Red Hawk on the frame. Is this an older version or something? Any answers are appreciated, thanks!

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. (y)
Post the serial number and someone will tell you the year it was made. Or, you can find that on Ruger's web site.
If it only says Redhawk and not Super Redhawk, then that's what it is.
The Super Redhawks were called "Alaskan" Models.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

As mentioned above,, the serial number or at least most of it will help us. You can "x" out the last 2 or 3 digits. (Example; 500-123xx.)

Often,, even the factory look-up feature isn't easy or can be incorrect.

I have to ask,, are you mearuring the barrel from the face of the cylinder or from the junction of the frame to the barrel? To get a correct length,, you must measure from the face of the cylinder.
I ask because I'm not aware of a Redhawk with such a short barrel. It's possible,, it has been customized.

As they say; "The devil is in the details!"

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
I think that it's an earlier model. Right now the Ruger website shows a similar Redhawk, Model 5051 with a 2.5 inch barrel, but in 357 Mag. So, it's probably an earlier offering but in 44 Mag.

cee_Kamp

Bearcat
Look here.

NikA

Buckeye
Two Ruger DA short barrel lines I'm aware of:
-SRH Alaskan, available in .44M, .454 Casull, and .480 Ruger
-RH Backpacker, available in .41M, .44M, and .45LC. The .357M model mentioned above does not have the 'Backpacker' designation AFAIK but is very similar in layout with the exception of the sleeved barrel.

Jon406

Single-Sixer
Well for starters it's Redhawk, not Red Hawk.. so when you are researching data or information for it.. use one word which might cut the chase down. The Ruger Redhawk is a great revolver, and I have no regrets owning it.. several times over.. the last three I had to sell due to medical stuff. From mild to wild loads, it's perfect for what you need to do from punching paper to gonging the old AR500 steel 9" plate. I reload for the .44 Magnum as many of us do, but many also prefer factory loads that will dent your pocket deeply.

Ruger Redhawk 6 shot hits.png

anachronism

Single-Sixer
If it's an Alaskan, it will be plainly marked as "Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan" just above the caliber stamp on the RT side of the frame/barrel. Additionally, it could be a std Redhawk with a cut down barrel. That has long been a popular modification to older guns that were predominately 7-1/2 inchers. Std Redhawks are marked on the RT side of the frame "Ruger Redhawk" just above the trigger.

I'm new to this forum, but I recently recieved a ruger Red Hawk 44 magnum with the snub nose 2.5"barrel. Every time I try to look up anything about it it comes up as a super red hawk, but there are no markings on it that indicate it is a super red hawk. It has 44 magnum written on the barrel, and Ruger Red Hawk on the frame. Is this an older version or something? Any answers are appreciated, thanks!
Why would you ask a question without including pics??? That would make any answers based on something.