Recovered stolen pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Acorn

Buckeye
We had 3 pistols stolen around 1980. The only particular one I can recall is a 70 series Colt Combat Commander in electroless nickel. NIB. I keep hoping it will turn up but not expecting to ever see it again.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Every so often ncic sends a record of your stolen firearms to your agency to confirm you still have a signed stolen report on file. In my experience anything stolen before good computerized records gets deleted from ncic when administrations change. I know I personally deleted a lot of old cases as I was unable to locate the original report and the victim had moved. Sadly most gun theft investigations stop cold as people didn't know their serial number also.

It was 1987 when I had to learn NICI data and how to enter/remove/ send a clearance and take a test to prove I learned. Since than it was limited yearly/bi yearly testing. And I hated entering data, mostly clerks could and would do that for the cops. But as almost everything else gets put into dead files at some predetermined date it might need a hand lookup, NICI had that rule about firearms. If you know what you said is fact, than it maybe. I think data was held on miro fish many years before computer files. That was long before my day.
Heck I once had a listed stolen handgun, the PD that listed it was no longer. The county took over the records and that was not easy to find the report.
Like you said most firearms cases never go beyond the agency report saying a xx gun was stolen unknown serial number and no way to enter that into NICI.
In 2002 I was pulled out of Det.s as my assignment was ended. Command asked that since I had knowledge beyond many regarding firearm's I went though all gun cases in evidence to clear them anyway I knew how. Numbers were about 225 handguns. Maybe about 200 were taken off crooks involved in crimes or found property. Of cases that guns could leave the evidence room. Few had ever been entered as stolen. But in real life most if not all were stolen. Without the victim listing that serial number they end up being destroyed, some handguns, not many get auctioned off. What happens is mainly up to the judge at least in Oregon that's how it works.

RSIno1

Hunter
kmoore said:
......If you have a firearm without a serial, made one up and attach it somewhere, best if hidden.
Don't hide it. Pre 1968 serial numbers were not required. If a cop recovers a gun he's going to look at the normal place for a serial number. If it's not there he not going to waste his time taking it apart to find some mystery number. Get somebody with a pantograph or laser to nicely put a number on it where it would normally be on later guns.

Your right about most of that and I agree.
If you add a serial number and hide it, when stolen that location can be entered into the hit. But, as you said no cops are going to look for that if they pick it up off the street, unless they happen to be aware of the crime and are searching to recover that gun. (small chance of that)
The hit comes up by serial number, followed by action type and caliber among a few other key items. I would not expect any evidence room cops looking further either. A few might, but do not expect it.
My suggestion was geared toward a high dollar collector, so the value might not be lowered. If that was the case the owner would have to go to every gun shop/pawn shop himself and tell them about the gun and look for it himself, again small chance of recovery.
An owner applying a visible number and keeping that number known really is the best.
So some will say that numbers can be removed, yes that is true, it's also true that police use several different methods to raise numbers off of guns and vehicles that were removed. I have done it, it's not really difficult.