Recent Quality Experiences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
I'm a 44 Special fan and several years ago acquired a blue flat top 4-5/8" Bisley back when Lipsey's first offered them. It had the canted barrel problem, which was promptly corrected by Ruger. In fact, the gun came back better in every way - lockup, gap, trigger - everything. It's just about my favorite handgun now and a fine shooter.

When the 5-shot GP100 came out I immediately got one from a forum member. It had the same issues reported by others - inconsistent chamber size and the ridiculous gap under the front sight. Ruger took it back and I received the fixed version a couple of weeks ago. They replaced the barrel and cylinder and overall it is an excellent revolver that shoots very well with factory Double Tap loads - under two inches DA at 7 yards. I haven't tried any of my Skeeter handloads yet. It's my first GP so I don't have a good comparison, but overall it seems like a great gun, though the forcing cone looks thin compared to my Ruger single actions.

The stainless flat top Bisley 44 Spl caught me off guard. Had I known it was coming out, I would have skipped the GP100, but in any case one found a home with me. This one has a very tight loading gate problem and unfinished metal next to the trigger guard on the bottom of the frame. It shoots really well with Skeeter loads and I'm not sure I want to send it back to fix the other problems, but I hate to pay for what looks like an unfinished gun when you turn it over.

During the same 6-7 year period when I bought the above, I also picked up a brand new SS Birdshead 44 mag and a SS 45 Colt Bisley that are both basically flawless in fit, finish, and function. Each shoots extremely well - the short Birdshead is scary accurate with 11.0 grains of Unique pushing a 255 Keith SWC and the big Bisley likes Hawk 260 HPs ahead of a sizeable dose of W296 or H110.

I guess that makes my experience 40% positive out of the box, but with service returns it's 100% if the hassle of the return and disappointment with the initial quality isn't counted. That's over the last 7 years. Prior to that, I purchased at least 5 other revolvers and a slew of No. 1s and other rifles since 1985 with nary an issue. Now I'm considering a 327 Single Seven. I don't like the quality problems at Ruger, but as long as the service department keeps up the good work, I'm tempted to keep buying them. I suppose Ruger has figured out that not everyone will return them, and that at least a decent percentage of their products are fine out of the box, so I doubt we'll see any change.

Jon

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
I bought a Kodiak Backpacker in 41 magnum back in January, which was a Davidsons exclusive. The gun had a couple cosmetic flaws out of the box, but mechanically it functions perfectly fine, and is as accurate as I can realistically ask of a short-barrelled magnum.

kooz

Blackhawk
My experience has been about the same as the original poster . I have gotten some very nice ones thru the years , but the last 3 were pure trash . My .44 gp100 was a mess, all of the problems that others had PLUS half of the rifling was missing......yes that's right half of the barrel was smooth . Also had a .44 spl stainless BH that you could barley open the loading gate it was so heavy and the headspace was so far off that you could not rotate the cyl after loading a round . I will probably not order another ruger sight unseen, I want to inspect it first .

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
...because Ruger makes guns in batches it seems they don't get the bugs out before they move on to another gun. Quality suffers and it is hit or miss. Service is good for those guns that have to go back.

I would like to know the % of guns that are not up to standard when shipped out. What is your guess? 1%, 10%, 40% or worse? I haven't bought a new Ruger gun in about 5 years but I enjoy the ones I already have. ...of course I like all the guns I own regardless of manf.

I the last 18 months or so I've bought...

.38 Special LCR
.22lr LCR
GP100 Match Champion
.22lr SP101
10/22 Carbine
Mini 14 Tactical
Mark IV Target

...I must be living right, lucky, or not fussy enough, because every one of those guns looks and functions exactly how I expected them to.

Mus408

Hunter
Simple solution.... Put the excellent "Return for Quality Repair workers on the assembly/inspection line!

waterboy452

Bearcat
As documented here, I had to send back my new SS .44 Special Flattop Bisley. Mine had several problems, most likely due to it being rushed out the door. Although not perfect, its much nicer now. So far, it seems to shoot very well. They replaced the hammer, cylinder, loading gate, polished the frame and smoothed up the action. My loading gate was very hard to open before, but it is much better now. Ruger customer service is just as good as their reputation. If you have problems, I'd for sure call them. They'll take care of it in a prompt manner. My gun was gone a total of 20 days, including shipping to them, and return shipping back to me. There was also 1 work day they were shut down due to a big snow storm. That's pretty quick considering the amount of work that they did to my gun.

Mus408

Hunter
I wonder what the total amount of returns is in a month or year?
Back when I was in the office furniture manufacturing business we had quarterly member meetings
and quality return issue were always discussed.
When somebody lays out 600-900 bucks for a new gun they want to look at it and shoot it...not have to pack it up and send it back.

Montelores

Buckeye
Not a comment on the QC issue, but Ruger seems to be keeping some people happy:

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/rgr?ltr=1

Ultimately, management makes its decisions for the shareholders and the board of directors.

Monty

Mus408 said:
I wonder what the total amount of returns is in a month or year?...

I'm sure as a percentage of guns sold it's very small, I would also imagine the number of guns that actually fail to function is miniscule. I'm always taken aback when a gun is returned without ever being fired. If I took all the measurements on a revolver and wasn't happy with them I would want to shoot it first so I could do a before and after comparison when the gun is returned. What I do wonder is how many guns are returned after nothing more than cleaning out the factory preservative(cosmoline, sticky goo, whatever it is), lube the gun, give it a function check, and the customer is happy with the returned gun.

Rclark

Hunter
My .45 Colt/.45 ACP stainless flattop had a loading gate problem too. I had to grind the face down, so that a cartridge would rotate over it. Made me wonder how they test...

I just purchased a GP100 Match Champion. The trigger pull SA is over 5# which is higher that I expected. Also, looking at the bore looks like a micro-groove Marlin in some places. This is my 19th Ruger and I have never called them but thinking I will on this one.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Captain America said:
I'm sure as a percentage of guns sold it's very small, I would also imagine the number of guns that actually fail to function is miniscule. I'm always taken aback when a gun is returned without ever being fired. If I took all the measurements on a revolver and wasn't happy with them I would want to shoot it first so I could do a before and after comparison when the gun is returned. What I do wonder is how many guns are returned after nothing more than cleaning out the factory preservative(cosmoline, sticky goo, whatever it is), lube the gun, give it a function check, and the customer is happy with the returned gun.

You can bet mine wasn't one of them. Mine arrived directly from Ruger with a broken rear sight and after some dry-fire the trigger locked up to the point it couldn't be pulled. I returned it unfired so Ruger couldn't try to blame it on me. They didn't, it they did replace the rear sight blade and the trigger group. It has worked just fine since then.

RSIno1

Hunter
All the QC problems cited on various web sites have made me institute a rule - I don't buy Rugers built after Bill died. I did break my rule once last year and bought a nice once fired 50th aniv 10-22 (blue/walnut) for $120 ($155 w CA fees). A guy bought it wanting to get into shooting but decided it wasn't for him. I was happy to buy it from him so he could go back to video games. Only downside no magazine, box or papers but a cheapo cloth case.

dpayne

Bearcat
Rclark said:
My .45 Colt/.45 ACP stainless flattop had a loading gate problem too. I had to grind the face down, so that a cartridge would rotate over it. Made me wonder how they test...
Had the same problem with my GP 100. I asked them about grinding it down but they said send it in. It will be back in my hands tomorrow - hopefully better than new.

It's not just Ruger. When Remington took over Marlin it was a horrible transition.

My LGS recently received a Smith Victory with no rifling.

Last month I won a Remington 870 tactical shotgun. First outing found out it would only extract shells but not eject them. I called Rem and they sent me a mailing slip for it to a shop here in IL. UPS picked it up Tuesday, and it was returned 3 days later with new extractor.

Think of those who buy a tactical gun for home protection, load it and store it w/o ever firing it. In this case if ever needed, especially if more than one bad guy, and that's a big OH SHITE

dpayne

Bearcat
That's what I was thinking about my GP when the cylinder wouldn't turn. Revolvers aren't perfect either although I still love them. Got mine back today and they fixed the burr as well as the slight endshake.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Like Cap'n A, I guess I'm living right also, I've got 25 or so wheel guns, 1/2 dozen autos and a long gun or two. It's never crossed my mind that any of them needed to go back for any reason. Cosmetic or function and I'm picky about function. Cosmetic has always been plenty good. If I wanted perfect I'd throw in the extra $2,000 for a Freedom Arms or a custom.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
I have a sample of two, but this is an anecdotal thread so...one old Mk 1 Target, been used by kids, been loaned to a lady that seems to have stored it in her cat litter box, and refuses to have anything go wrong.
And one new Vaquero 45 (and if you start that again I'll start telling you about all my many and wonderful Kalashnikov clips) that seemed to beam a pure silver light into my eyes when the ShootStraight guy opened the lid. I don't think I ever saw anything looking so perfect. And it was, and is. Ruger means something in this house.