Recent Quality Experiences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yetiman

Bearcat
It seems like once they made a million gun a year goal finish quality dropped fast. For about a year every MKIII pistol I looked at was HORRIBLY finished. I couldn't believe they shipped them like that.

I generally look at Rugers as kit guns that will need finishing and 'personalizing' or at minimum a trigger/action job after the fact.

One exception has been my Birdshead 45 acp which has an exquisite build quality, a great trigger and very tight b/c gap.

My Wiley Clapp GP also has an excellent trigger and fit, but it had to be sent home as it alsway shot quite high. They re-crowned the barrel and it has been fine.

My Kodiak Backpacker Redhawk also went home tight away as the cylinder would lock up after firing magnum rounds (though not with lower power ammo). They replaced the entire trigger group, and it was fine after that... though it went to JRH for a trigger/action job recently and is much improved.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Since 2008 I have bought the following Rugers new:

LCP (1st Gen)
SR9
SR45
New Vaquero SS .357
Super Blackhawk SS .44 Magnum
New Vaquero SS Talo .357
LCP (2nd Gen - not the LCP II)

Bought my first Ruger, a Single Six, in 1959 and went on to purchase (new) a Service Six, three 10/22s, a Mini14 Ranch Rifle, a 3 screw Blackhawk .357, and an SP101 .357 (in 1993). Then there was the hiatus until 2008 when the introduction of the LCP got me started again on Rugers.

(1993 - 2007 I had bought a number of S&Ws & Colts)

I still have all of them except for the 10/22s, Mini14, SBH, & Service Six - gifted those to my children & grandkids.

The only Ruger ever I let go was a Standard .22 that had been gifted to me by my dad in 1956 - I traded it towards the Single Six in 1959.

Every one of them has excellent fit & finish - except the 1st LCP which has a slightly more "rough" bluing job than the newest one. They all have functioned perfectly & shoot just fine, but I haven't fired the last two yet. I haven't ever had to send one back for repair, and the quality of my recent purchases has not declined over the early ones.

I plan to buy several more Rugers and Colts before shuffling off this mortal coil...... without hesitation.

Maybe I'm just a lucky old fart.

Yetiman

Bearcat
samxxix said:
Rugers are semi finished guns.

I am inclined to agree. Like people some are better than others, all can be improved on with some love and attention.

I would buy a lot more Rugers (and I have a bunch already), but every time I consider one I figure in the cost of upgrading the sights and sending it out for at least an action/trigger job.

I did send in my GP100 Match Champion. They replaced the barrel and ejector, refinished and smoothed out action. The SA trigger pull is improved and DA smoother as well. Now to put it to the test on the range etc. Very prompt service from Ruger.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I normally do not have to order a new model when it first gets into production. ( Brand New Offerings may be the real issue here)
I have owned several Ruger Revolvers with no issues at all. I have owned 3 each 44 magnum Super RedHawks, and 2 each in 480 Ruger. I guess that could be 3 each counting my 480 Alaskan. I am not sure how many GP100's I have owned I currently have a 3" adjustable sight SS, and a 6" Blued one, both look flawless to me. I have also owned 3 each SP101's, again all were all that I expected them to be. My LCR 22 and 357 while not works of art functioned fine. I shoot an ICORE Revolver Match every month with several guys who all own GP100's. They all work fine.
I had a 45 Colt Ruger Bisley Hunter, again looked perfect to me. My MK III Hunter I have played with a lot. It is closer to a MK IV than a MK III. The MK IV is a huge improvement over the older models, however the older models worked fine. Nothing was wrong with my MK III. It was a good project pistol for Rimfire 2 Gun. I plan to do a Trigger Job on all of my Rugers, just like I do on every S&W revolver I own. Everything mass produced can be improved to some degree, especially the action. I do not go over each and every detail looking for something that could have been finished better. I have never had a canted barrel, bad cylinder alignment, excess cylinder gap, etc. I may be lucky, but I have been perfectly happy with every Ruger Revolver I have ever owned.

Bob