Rebarrel a #3

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I am in the beginning stages of fulfilling a long time dream. I have wanted a #3 in 327 Fed Mag since the "new" caliber came out. I have found a #3, currently in its original 223 caliber and a spare #3 barrel in 22 Hornet with marginal bore. My object is to have the 22 H barrel rebored to 327 Fed Mag specs and swapping it out so I have the gun of my dreams, but if it becomes a nightmare I'll be able to return the gun to original. I've recently seen a source for the early style steel and aluminum butt plates and have seen a couple of fore ends so I can perhaps modify one to make it a little more sporty and a little less "military" looking... again with the possibility to return to original if desired.

Those of you who know me from other forums and boards know I've been through this process with other brands and configurations of guns, but this will be sort of new territory for me (although I once bought a #1 that had been rebarreled to 32-40) I wonder what the Ruger community thinks of my quest?

Froggie 🐸

Rocdoc

Buckeye
327 Fed would be a cal I would to have in a No.1, think a No. 3 might be a great choice also

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I think I would get a 30 cal barrel blank profiled and chambered versus reboring a #3 barrel. Not sure about the relative cost, but I think the #3 profile is pretty straightforward.
That would be OK, but most of the 30 cal blanks I see listed are for a 308-310 bore. I want a 312-314 so I can use all the great bullet moulds I already have.
🐸

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
How long are they, NikA? When I think of AKs and SKSs, I think of little short carbine length guns. Did you actually get an unturned blank for one??
🐸

NikA

Buckeye
SKS barrels are 20 inches, AK barrels for the RPK variants are 23-24". I have a new surplus barrel that has about the same weight as .357 rifle barrels I've seen, can measure it if you're interested. Must be 14mm (about 9/16") in diameter at the muzzle, about right for a lightweight sporting rifle.

I'm sure someone will cut you a blank if you look around, I'm just cheap when it comes to these sorts of projects.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Swapped a barrel on a #3 and only issue was getting it to clock so the sights were top dead center and headspace. Barrel had to be shortened about one thread and ejector slot recut, then finish reamed. Doing this meant that the rear scope base did not align with the holes and needed to shorten it slightly to work. Two gunsmiths I frequently see referenced are JES and Boby Hoyt for reboring and re-rifling, might contact them to see what they recommend.