Range Report - Hornady Critical Defense FTX 44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

44Alaskan

Bearcat
Designed for snubbies the 165 grain bullet has a barrel velocity of 900 fps. The core of the hollow point has a flexible insert designed to prevent clogging from clothing. I could not find a 44 special gel test video for this load but all the other caliber Critical Defense videos show great expansion and penetration. This was a pleasure to shoot from my Super Redhawk Alaskan, single and double action. I found this ammo to be very accurat shooting from 7, 14, 21 feet, and 25 yards.

Video from the range, 44 Special Critical Defense fired from Ruger Alaskan

Three50seven

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
Looks like a pleasure to shoot. Probably a great SD round. - Save the brass -

Don't bother...Hornady trims the brass shorter than spec. to accommodate the longer "pointy" bullet :evil: The same goes for all the FTX line.

Three50seven said:
Jimbo357mag said:

Don't bother...Hornady trims the brass shorter than spec. to accommodate the longer "pointy" bullet :evil: The same goes for all the FTX line.
Huh? How is a 165 gr projectile longer than an 240 gr projectile?
gramps

Three50seven

Buckeye
gramps said:
Three50seven said:
Jimbo357mag said:

Huh? How is a 165 gr projectile longer than an 240 gr projectile?
gramps

I had to look at Hornady's website to confirm, and it looks like I was incorrect. I thought the 165gr FTX in the 44 spl had the rubbery "ballistc tip" like the leverevolution line. Instead it has a blunt tip. I would still measure the brass before reloading it. I have a bag full of Hornady .44 mag brass that is shorter than spec to accommodate the leverevolution bullets. This is also true of their 45-70 and maybe others as well.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Three50seven said:
I had to look at Hornady's website to confirm, and it looks like I was incorrect. I thought the 165gr FTX in the 44 spl had the rubbery "ballistc tip" like the leverevolution line. Instead it has a blunt tip.
That's ok. It doesn't hurt to remind people that the brass is shorter with those factory lever-revolution cartridges. :D

44Alaskan

Bearcat
kmoore said:
Hey, 44 Alaskan, on the Hornady web page it shows a still photo of the gel test with almost 10 inch's penetration. I did not look for a video.

Thanks for the info.. Good for circumstances where overpenetration would be a concern like apartment living or crowded public places.

lg_2772844-SPCL-CD-heavy.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
44Alaskan said:
Andrew at TFB TV was nice enough to take the time and do a gel test on the 44 Special Hornady Critical Defense 165 grain FTX.

Gel Test - Hornady 44Special 165 grain FTX Critical Defense
Near the end of the review he says slower velocity would result in deeper penetration. I had to think about that for a while and I guess I could agree that at a slower speed the bullet might not open as much and therefore penetrate further into the gel but I would like to see it for sure.

Anyone have experience with the same bullets fired into gel at different velocities and the resulting penetration?

Mus408

Hunter
Great video and round! Try it again with the water jug test if you get a chance.
I have had good results using the 200 gr. Speer Gold Dot going 830-850 FPS out of my Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special with 2.5 inch barrel. Bullet expansion was .680 dia.

ironhead7544

Bearcat
Speer makes a 1050 fps load with a 200 gr Gold Dot bullet in 44 Magnum. I use it in my 44s.

They also make a 44 Special load with the same bullet. Chronos at 815 fps from a 3" barrel fro me.

Will have to try the Hornady 165 gr load.