Question on Old Model Magnum Single-Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The description in the RENE guide is confusing. I have a magnum only, in the serial number range. It's not labeled magnum, but .22 cal. Correct box labeled RSSM, also came with extra cylinder.

contender

Ruger Guru
When Ruger first marketed the .22 Rimfire Magnum only guns,, they marked the frames as such.
Due to the demands for a "spare cylinder" in .22 RF,, they soon began offering the convertibles as well.
They first offered the Magnum only guns in 1959. The boxes were marked with ONLY RSSM. Only the SHIPPER would denote the "X" for the convertible designation.

There was an overlap of the serial numbers, with the Magnum only marked guns beginning at 30000m and ending at 398349.

The RSSMX (.22 marked frame, yet convertible, and a 6-1/2" bbl,) have a serial number range of 340177 to 359796 for the Type 1 Transition. The Type 2 Transition serial number range is 359523 to 360456. The Type 3 Transition serial number range is; 360361 to 375075. There is a rarer variation in the later Type 3 that the serial number range is 375679 to 436269. Then the end of the magnum marked ones, to where the convertibles were marked .22 RF, the serial number range is 385453 to 497953. And later on, they kept the .22 RF markings, but still used the RSSMX designation with the serial number range of 800204 to 833094.

So,, you have a RSSMX and the box is correctly marked as RSSM. Only the shipper would show any difference.
The big question is which variation is your gun?

contender

Ruger Guru
Good morning,
Ok, You might have a rarer variation.
Look at the serial number, and if it has the Type 3 features,, (XR3-RED g/f, alloy ERH, and the last 3 digits of the serial scratched on the face of the cylinder,) along with; 1/8" sized serial number, and the barrel address where it says; Sturm, Ruger & Company," without the Inc. it may well be a scarce one.
Look in the RENE reference guide, page 39, top left, second paragraph for that info. Also, on page 38, the very bottom, last 2 lines of a parabraph, that leads to page 39, top left, the rest of the paragraph, will give you these details.
Tyrone

Also some barrels have the Eagle on them some don't. If it has the XR3-RED grip frame and an Eagle it is one of 700. Without Eagle not as scarce.

5 types of Magnum marked frames here

1695476412863.png

Eagle on the frame. Serial number smaller than 1/8", but seem larger than 1/16". XR3-RED frame. No INC. in the address. Frame has the purple coloring. Steel EJH. Both cylinders have the serial number etched. Based on the 2nd paragraph, page 39, might be scarce.

Anyone have a Type 3 that they could send me pictures?

contender

Ruger Guru
The difference of the Eagle logo,, is where it's located. The Eagle on the barrel or not on the barrel is the difference. It's on the frame I think on all of them.
The older guns have a smaller serial number,, (1/16") while the transition period saw the size increase to the 1/8", which is still the current size.

Go back to the RENE Guide. Re-read all the differences in the "Old Model Single-Six Convertibles" beginning on page 38. CAREFULLY study the differences in the guns as they progressed through the transition period. You need to isolate each & every feature of each type,, as well as matching the serial number range where the RSSMX is concerned.
A Type 1 has the XR3-RED g/f and the steel ERH. The Type 2 has an alloy ERH, as does the Type 3.
But that's a part that can be "swapped" easily. The serial number, and it's size, as well as the Eagle logo on the barrel, etched or stamped numbers on the cylinder, all play a part in determination of what you have.

Pictures of a Type 3 may or may not help unless ALL the various features are shown in close-up.

Don't despair. A lot of people have a hard time determining all the little differences in these transition variations.
I'd contact Ruger, pay the $10.00 and get a letter on the gun. That will give you the correct model info as it was shipped, the month & year it was shipped, and that too can help a lot in the minor details you seek.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
The description in the RENE guide is confusing. I have a magnum only, in the serial number range. It's not labeled magnum, but .22 cal. Correct box labeled RSSM, also came with extra cylinder.
I have one also but the type matters too as stated. Here's the box for my 2-cylinder gun.

thumbnail-IMG-1105.jpg